Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Haiti: The Agronomist

January 31st, 2010

More on AMANPOUR. this Sunday at 2pm EST and 2100 CET.

Filed under:  1 • Haiti
  1. ellie james

Ms Amanpour; Why aren't young people that have some level of education recruited to set up classes in whatever tents are available. This will give the young people a sense of helping their own, a sense of pride, and above all a sharing of knowledge. One does not have to have a college degree to pass along their basic knowledge of reading, writing and simple math, people of all ages can teach the young. I am almost 70 . I am still learning and trying to pass along my knowledge to the next generation

January 31, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Reply
  2. Dr. Wladimir Louis-Charles, MBE

Great interview C. Amanpour, The ladies are real profesionals and are for real, well articulate, in contrast the prime minister is the typical Haitian politician ,unprepared, uneasy, I spend 7 days in Haiti and now I am eriting from the Dominican Rep. I do not see How can school can be reopened on monday. For the time I spent in Haiti I did not hear for the president no daily brieffing; this is a fail stated a country in political limbo. I left Haiti 24 years ago and I went back after all these years to realize that the politicians have not change, I went to Leogane this city seems not to receive any help. Amanpour great Job.

January 31, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Reply
  3. Mario Maurice

In response to the reconstrction question to your guesses earlier today in your weekly Sunday, please note:
    Rebuilding Haiti has to be an opportunity for a fresh start for Haiti future work force, an opportunity to build infrastructre guidedd by anti-corruption rules and regulations, an opportunity to extend to two or more other cities. This will solve the depopulation, decentralization problem. More trades will take roots, the econony will have three or more chances of success. And it is obvious to us the Haitian people by now the outgoing Hatian Government can not be part of the solution.

January 31, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Reply
  4. Susan

I do so appreciate your international understanding and reporting. I have made several contributions to Herford International, both before and after the earthquake. I would really like to have reporting on the
    "grassroots" and long term impact this organization provides. I am so appreciative of the concept of this organization and would like to know how they are helping the people of Haitii in their recovery. Thank you so much. Susan

January 31, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  5. Fred Noll

I just watched your interview with the Tory leader who was in Davos. Thank you for bringing this to American TV. None of the other networks are as tuned in, not even Fox News, with our mother country, and for this I give you credit. I am not in tune with your politics, but I am appreciative of your International bent. I was so impressed with Cameron, he is in the fine clear thinking, no compromises, eloquent tradition of British leaders, from Churchill to Thatcher to Blair. We can only marvel here (U.S.) at the skill in plain speaking that the Parliamentary system breeds.

Thanks,

Fred Noll

January 31, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Reply
  6. Sandra Colas

Hi Christianne,

My name is Sandra and I am a US citizen. I would like to ask two questions about the situation in Haiti now, for I have so many.
    I saw your interview with the prime minister of Haiti, I would like to know How he is going to handle the adoption file for immediate family such as US grandparents who would to adopt their orphan grandkids?
    How long it will take to follow up with that file? Beleive or not that is a serious file since I am as most concerned and involved.
    Sandra

January 31, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  7. Fernando F.

Unicef is in Haiti for years and years. How come there are no public schools? I heard all are privates, and the teachers might be complete uneducated people. Why isn't the Unicef doing something about that? They are there for 30 years (I think). That is time enough to educate 17 complete generations from 5 years to 18. Isn't the salaries in Haiti extremely low? It shouldn't be a problem to pay teachers locally. Why not pay money to the students that get good grades? The idea is being implemented in the US. That way they wouldn't be looking for a slave-job somewhere.

January 31, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Reply
  8. Stan Hovey

I lived in Haiti as a boy ('42-'44) and my Dad was a forester for SHADA, an organization consisting of a partnership between the U.S. & Haiti. I am a forester also and I go to Haiti (Jeremie area) teaching reforestation/agro-forestry to children in 5th & 6th grades. I am 76 and agree with ellie james. above, that we can do an enormous amount to assist them in building a quality country if we will "walk-the-walk" over a long term. It took 500 years for the Haitian envorinment to be destroyed and I tell the children it will take 200-300 years to bring it back, but they must start NOW. We can help,but they must do it for themselves.
    I am trying to start a program to establish a small tree nursery (4'X8') at every school. A dream, I know, but it will catch on to some degree and everyone will benefit!

February 2, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Reply
  9. Susan

I sooo agree with elle james. Involvement in "projects" can give "kids" purpose and ownership in the problems and their solutions. They certainly have enough knowledge to begin an education. A perfect example is Greg Mortenson and the outstanding work he has done giving Afganies ownership in helping build their own schools. I happen to believe Herford International also gives ownership to participants. Wouldn't it be wonderful if these three organizations worked together in Haiti ~ and planting the trees suggested by Stan would be the "icing on the cake". What a wonderful opportunity we have to build instead of destroy...I would love to be a part of this humanitarian effort!!!

February 3, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Reply