Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Morsi Adviser: Female and Christian VPs in Egypt

June 25th, 2012

By Samuel Burke

There’s been a dramatic change of fate in Egypt: Mohamed Morsi was once a prisoner under President Hosni Mubarak. Now Morsi is president-elect of Egypt, at the very same time Mubarak is serving his sentence in the notorious Tora Prison. Now Egypt’s minorities wait to see how their fates will change – among them, Coptic Christians and women.

Monday, Morsi’s policy adviser, Ahmed Deif, told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour that to allay minority fears, Morsi will execute a strategy of “inclusiveness, inclusiveness, inclusiveness.”

Deif said one of Morsi’s first steps will be to appoint a vice president who is Christian and another Vice President who is a woman.

“For the first time in Egyptian history – not just modern but in all Egyptian history – a woman will take that position,” Deif said. “And it’s not just a vice president who will represent a certain agenda and sect, but a vice president who is powerful and empowered, and will be taking care of critical advising within the presidential cabinet.”

Amanpour asked, “So this is not going to be the Islamic Republic of Egypt? Or is it?”

“Definitely it is not,” Deif answered. “We never called for an Islamic Republic in Egypt. Dr. Morsi was very clear on that, when he said that we are calling on a constitutional, civil, modern state that respects and enjoyes its culture, principles and religions. Not just Islam but Islam and Christianity.”

Before the election Amanpour interviewed Morsi and asked him about how women would figure into the country.

“The role of women in Egyptian society is clear,” Morsi told Amanpour through a translator. “Women’s rights are equal to men. Women have complete rights, just like men. There shouldn’t be any kind of distinction between Egyptians except that is based on the constitution and the law.”

When asked if he could guarantee that he would retain the law that makes it a crime to sexually abuse women, Morsi said, “It will be impossible to allow this kind of abuse in the shadow of a constitutional state, a lawful state, a state that protects the dignity of a person.”

To drive home his point, Morsi briefly switched from speaking in Arabic to speaking to English: “They are all my sisters, my daughters, my wife, and my mother. They are all Egyptians. There are no differences whatsoever among the people of Egypt.”

With Egypt's Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) maintaining widespread control and the new president’s authority still undefined, the question for now is what type of power Morsi will have, if any, to make decisions affecting minorities and the state at large.

1. Alex A. Lord Sagwe™

Hope the History of Egypt as a safe Haven for Baby Jesus is not going to be washed away with Extreme Conservativeness! Respect of Liberty of Conscience, human dignity and Rule of law are the foundations of democracy!

June 25, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Reply
    • lonslens4

Mohammed had not invented "the god" when baby Jesus was fleeing Herod.

July 3, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Reply
  2. Monica Ahmadu

I am delighted by what Mr President said, infact it worth commendation, and I pray for a successful implimentation.

June 25, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  3. deb

ever heard of TAQIYYA??

June 25, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Reply
    • Ridwan

Enlighten us , oh enlightened one.

July 3, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  4. A.H.Khan

I hope Mr.Moris will keep his promiss and show the world how muslim can deliver democracy in different way., which will be respected and be surprided the western world. Don't worry and be happy. Don't try provoke the western people by engaged them with bed impretation about muslim. Now the time to talk of Democracy n't to religion. God bless the Egyption as well as those who belongs to our world.

June 26, 2012 at 5:55 am | Reply
  5. raed

We all hope that Mr President keep his promiss,and keep the revenge away

June 26, 2012 at 9:56 am | Reply
  6. conscientesporlacrisis

I hope the new woman Vicepresident finds support from other members in the Government. She will face a very challenging task! One important remark on the information written in the first paragraph: WOMEN ARE NOT A MINORITY, THEY ARE HALF OF THE POPULATION IN EVERY COUNTRY (or even slightly more than half of the population). Please, a correction in the first paragraph would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

June 26, 2012 at 10:34 am | Reply
  7. Apiaka

With the military still weilding executive power and that of morsi not clearly defined, i hope there wont be power tossle on policy making implementation.

June 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Reply
  8. ZONOVORE ELIAS YOHANNA

I WISH MR. PRESIDO & HIS CABINET ALL THE BEST. MAY ALL THE PROMISIS THROUGH GOD SEE THE LIGHT OF THE DAY, AMEN.

June 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  9. destiny opoku

I AM VERY HAPPY FOR MY SECOND COUNTRY I LOVE SOO MUCH I COME FROM GHANA BUT I REALY LOVE EGYP SOO MUCH,MR PRESIDENT SHOULD LESTINING TO THE MINORITY CHRISTHIAN WHO HAVE SUFFER ENOUGHT FROM THIER MUSLIM BROTHERS ,ABUSE ,RAPE , PORVITY,AND NEGLETION.

June 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Reply
  10. Amir

it is not our expection from you Mr.Morsi that you will asign a woman as your vice president?
    We have been waiting from you as an Islamic egypt.

June 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Reply
    • Hajaratu ShettimaKwanyedandi

An Islamic Egypt indeed! Okay, even if it is an islamic Egypt, the holy Quaran gives men and women equal rights. So if it is so, tell the world why women should be excluded from governance of any country? If you voted mr morsi so he would make Egypt an Islamic state, then Its a pity.

July 2, 2012 at 10:44 am | Reply
  11. Philbert

NOW EGYPT HAS OPENED A GOOD FACE OF LEADERSHIP. IT IS MY HOPE THAT THE NEW ELECTED PRESIDENT WILL FULFILL HIS PROMISE AND BRING BACK THE LOST PEASE AND SECURITY AND THEREFORE IMPROVE THE LIFE OF THE PEOPLE OF EGYPT AND BRING ABOUT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT. GOD BLESS YOU ALL

June 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  12. Bill

While others are pandering fear, Christiane Anampour is telling the story of Egypt’s current events. I have an enormous hope for a truly great outcome. This can only happen if the West allows it.

June 26, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Reply
  13. Dominic

Lng live democracy.

June 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  14. Mohamed Sabry

i am proud of Dr. Ahmed Deif, a true idol for the coming generations..

June 26, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Reply
  15. I am just getting started on the Internet. I am retired now. I am reading blogs on many topics, and commenting too. I think I really appreciate the basics of what you have here in this blog. I am the proud owner of my own website and blog and i get ideas

Wow, wonderful weblog layout! How lengthy have you been blogging for? you make running a blog look easy. The whole look of your website is wonderful, as neatly as the content material!

June 30, 2012 at 11:07 am | Reply
  16. vps

It is good thing that in egypt mostly advisers are females. Today it is necessary that woman's get success in every field. From this, country also successful.

July 3, 2012 at 9:50 am | Reply
  17. provider dsl

What a awesome and sharp item. I like it badly

July 31, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Reply
  18. Christinejoy

Terrific piece, Jordan. What a staggering irony: Republicans are upset with Herman Cain for plyaing the race card. Which we all know that white Republicans NEVER do. Right?As an ACT NOW member who's very, very old, I can remember back to 1980 when that great hero of all current Republicans, Ronnie Reagan, opened his 1980 presidential campaign in Philadelphia, Mississippi, the town where civil rights workers James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner were murdered in 1964. But Ronnie wasn't plyaing the race card by opening his presidential campaign in that town. Impossible! It's hard to find adequate words for my contempt for the Republicans of 2011.

August 10, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Reply
  19. Best Web Hosting, Quality Hosting, Reliable Hosting

hi!,I love your writing very a lot! percentage we be in contact extra approximately your article on AOL? I require a specialist in this area to unravel my problem. May be that's you! Taking a look ahead to look you.

August 17, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Reply
  20. oxygen Propaganda Advertising Agency In Egypt

Excellent items from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are simply too wonderful. I really like what you have got right here, certainly like what you are stating and the way wherein you assert it. You make it enjoyable and you continue to care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to learn much more from you. This is actually a tremendous website.

September 20, 2012 at 1:07 am | Reply