Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

The Queen’s cousin

July 16th, 2013

By Mick Krever & Juliet Fuisz, CNN

Queen Elizabeth II and her cousin, Margaret Rhodes, were born just a few months apart.

They were constant playmates, and have been close friends throughout their lives. Rhodes was there when Elizabeth was smitten with Philip, and was a bridesmaid at their wedding.

So as Queen Elizabeth awaits the birth of her great-grandchild and the next heir to the throne, one would expect Rhodes to be unbearably excited, right?

“Not terribly,” she told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Monday, exploding with laughter. “Well, you know, everybody has babies, and it’s lovely. I don’t get wildly excited about it.”

“Really?” Amanpour asked, not even for the next heir to the throne? “History?”

“Yes, all right, I’m prepared to be excited,” Rhodes relented with a smile.

Amanpour spoke with Rhodes at her cottage in Windsor, England, on the grounds of the Windsor Castle, which the Queen gave her as a gift.

“I’m lucky enough now that I’m here, in this house, which I’ve been in now for thirty two years, because [the Queen] comes to the little chapel in the park, that I go to most Sundays,” Rhodes said. “And so, like yesterday, she was here having a drink.”

Rhodes was barely a teenager when he uncle, Elizabeth’s father, ascended to the thrown as King George VI.

“I can remember to this day that I shamingly hopped on the dance floor saying, ‘My uncle’s now king!’ Which was a very shaming thing to do, but I did it.”

Her uncle and aunt, Rhodes said, did a good job of raising their children, among them the future Queen.

“The king and queen in those days made an enormous effort to give, to keep their childhood sacrosanct,” Rhodes told Amanpour. “It was just a time for learning and enjoying. And I think that they succeeded awfully well.”

Rhodes was with Elizabeth when she met the boy who would become her future husband, whom she said was “incredibly good looking.”

“I think that in the way thirteen-year-olds do,” Rhodes said, “she fell in love with a very, very, very handsome young man.”

Decades later, Rhodes went on, Prince Philip has been shunned to a reputation wholly separate from his looks.

“He is condemned now for his largely, what they call gaffes,” she said. “And actually what it is, is saying what he thinks, most of the time.”

Amanpour responded: “He’s good old-fashioned politically incorrect.”

“Yes,” Rhodes agreed.

Speaking of Philip’s granddaughter-in-law Kate Middleton, queen-to-be, Rhodes said she had seen little of her, but was complementary.

“I think she’s got a way with her that’s going to be very appealing,” Rhodes explained. “And I think that she won’t, sort of vie for coverage, which Diana perhaps did a little bit.”

The British monarchy, of course, is the subject of countless portrayals on screens large and small.

Just three years ago, The King’s Speech, which portrayed King George VI – Rhodes’ uncle and Queen Elizabeth II’s father – and his struggle with a stutter.

“I cried in the film,” Rhodes said. “It was so well done, and I think it did show the difficulties he surmounted.”

But there was one section, Rhodes, went on, of which she was a bit dubious.

“There was one moment where he was making the King say a whole lot of frightfully rude words in a sort of barrage,” Rhodes said. “And I did say something to the Queen about that, and she said she’d never heard her father use bad language at all. So whether that was true or not, I don’t know.”

CORRECTION: This article mistakenly said that Queen Elizabeth was awaiting the birth of her granddaughter. She is awaiting the birth of her great-grandchild, and the gender is not yet known.

Filed under:  Christiane Amanpour • Latest Episode
  1. Renshaw

"So as Queen Elizabeth awaits the birth of her granddaughter, and the next heir to the throne, one would expect Rhodes to be unbearably excited, right?"

The Queen is awaiting the birth of her GREAT grandchild, not grandchild. And I do not believe the gender of the child has been confirmed, has it?

July 16, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Reply
  2. tollyon

Beyond the error noted above, this entire article is horribly written. HOW is Mrs. Rhodes the Queen's cousin? Why are you talking with her? And please check a dictionary occasionally - she is being "complimentary." "Shunned to a reputation" isn't even decent English. Etc. Reading this was a waste of time.

July 16, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Reply
    • Brian

As was reading your blithering post.

December 26, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Reply
  3. Lucyfrog

I agree, not a good piece of journalism whatsoever. I don't know why the writer even bothered to interview her. Ms. Rhodes has nothing nice to say, and sounds like a jealous, crotchety old woman.

July 18, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Reply
    • jeanbean

I don't know what interview you were watching, but Ms Rhodes was very complementary of The Queen and of the role Prince Phillip has played in The Queen's life. And she has an opinion . . . and spunk! A very entertaining interview.

. . . And to answer "tollyon's" question, Ms Rhodes was the youngest daughter of Lord Elphinstone, who was married to Mary (Bowes-Lyon), a sister of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (The Queen's mother). THAT'S what makes her a cousin to The Queen! And she has a very personal perspective that makes her insights much more revealing and "real" compared to most of the trash in the tabloids.

July 18, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Reply
      • onyxcougar

Thank you, JeanBean. If only the authors of the article would have explained that.....

July 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
  4. Armand Versace

Still a delightful woman, and to think the Queen just had a drink there the day before, that in itself makes her a whole lot more human! Wonderful stuff.

July 24, 2013 at 4:46 am | Reply
  5. emil kaiypov

PAUSE THE WAR!
    My name is Emil Kaiypov. I am a citizen of the Kyrgyz Republic, a lawyer, and a father of two children. The proposal for which I am asking your kind support is the suspension of all currently existing hostilities on Earth.

The main goal of my entire project is to save and improve the lives of children who are suffering from the present conflicts and violence.

The challenge is to create a moment of "pause" [a technical term from video language] in hostilities now and in the future, as well as to refusal to restart them at all. I believe that in this context, such "pause" in the war action seems do-able and practical, much more effective than the idealistic and utopian pressing of an imaginary "stop" button. In the future the first action will equate to the second: "pause" will become "stop". In order to alert the international community and potential supporters, I made a demonstration of my own at 18 October 2013 on the territory of Syrian embassy in Beirut, with poster "pause the war".

The purpose of this demonstration, is to show through an example that:

1) one person has the power to perform an action directed to the benefit of all mankind.

2) no one should be indifferent, when war is concerned.

3) war requires us to drop everything else, in order to stop it. Daily activities, against the background of war, look meaningless and empty.

I believe, that this idea will resonate and supporters will wish to join it. The age of information technologies, will help to spread it around the globe. Definitely there will be supporters among the world's famous celebrities. In the event that a large number of ordinary people and celebrities join this campaign, the dream to stop all military actions on the planet will be realized. This will serve as an occasion to announce the call for volunteers in the "international army of peace". It will consist of unarmed "soldiers" who are ready at any time, to go to the hot spot to "pause" the hostilities with the fact of their presence and to encourage the warring parties to engage in dialogue. Ideally, this army should consist of a world-famous and beloved celebrities from all spheres of human activities.

I suggest that countries be ready to support my initiative, in solidarity, by placing on the cloth of their national flags, the well-known pause symbol "II". I believe that in the course of implementation of this anti-war action, the reasons for which the suspended armed conflict began, will be resolved or continued in a civilized manner. This anti-war action will bring about a new peaceful reality, when there will be no state left, which "international army of peace" had not visited.

The termination of all hostilities, will become the point of departure for further continuous progress in all directions.

We are able to bring about the time, when the world will be fairly managed by a workable international organization which will be trusted by all citizens of the earth. When this happens, all kinds of weapons will be transferred to international United Nations control, the purpose of which, will be the preservation of peace and sustainable development of mankind.

We live in a world, when the collective effort makes possible the colonizing of other planets in the foreseeable future. I believe, that we have enough strength and resources for the child born tomorrow to see a world, where uniform international standards of education, labor, pension and medical care, will be established everywhere. A world, where the primary human needs will be satisfied for free.

A world, where nobody talks about freedom, because absolute freedom will accompany each person from the moment of birth, to his last breath. A world, where the happiness and freedom of the individual, will not happen in isolation but will include freedom and happiness of all of humanity. A world without war.

A world without war is undisputed goal, that sooner or later humanity will definitely reach. It is the primary duty of every adult to fulfill a "world in peace"– everyone’s childhood dream. Every child surrounded by the horrors of war dreams that one day somebody will come and say "It is enough!" and by saying it bring war to an end. Then war will stop. That day has come! It's time to combine our efforts in order to make that dream come true.

March 30, 2014 at 1:22 am | Reply