Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Amanpour: Why Rouhani may be different

Amanpour: Why Rouhani may be different
September 25th, 2013

By Christiane Amanpour, CNN

Hassan Rouhani is the fourth Iranian President I have interviewed, and each time these discussions seem to come at crucial times.

I was struck by the fact that he agreed to say a sentence or two in English to reach the American people in their own language, saying he was bringing peace and friendship from Iran.

I recall the huge excitement there was the first time when the first reform president, Mohammad Khatami, sat down with me and delivered what many called his manifesto for moderation: change and freedom … that was in 1998.

Like Rouhani, he too was the “mullah with a smiling face” and spoke words on CNN that truly changed the tone of the country’s relations with the rest of the world.

But soon it was clear that Khatami did not have the mandate from the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, and hardliners quickly swept away his reforms, and people’s hopes. The brief Tehran Spring withered and died.

I asked Rouhani: What would be different this time?

I was particularly interested in Khatami’s op-ed in the Guardian newspaper this week, reminding the West of what happened to him, and warning that Rouhani’s election represents a real, if narrow window for real diplomacy. He said while he did not have the mandate from Ayatollah Khamenei, Rouhani does. And if Rouhani goes back empty-handed, that window will close.

It was here at the U.N. exactly eight years ago that Ahmadinejad gave his first TV interview, to me, and announced to the world that Iran was going ahead with its nuclear program.

He projected a belligerence and a deliberate antagonism in that interview that continued throughout his eight years in office. I recall telling Ahmadinejad that he sounded very aggressive.

So Rouhani’s arrival here in a blizzard of friendly tweets is very different.

Just the fact that he was elected in June, and the authorities let the vote stand, was a surprise and a change.

Before he arrived, he announced he was bringing Iran’s only Jewish M.P. in his delegation; this was after the Rosh Hashanah New Year tweets.

In his U.N. speech, he eschewed Ahmadinejad’s revolting anti-Semitic hate speech. Rouhani never once mentioned Israel; instead he recited a verse from the Torah.

But is this just a change of tone and style? We’ll see.

My hunch is that Rouhani, and his team – several are American educated – know that it’s now or never. They tell me they are prepared to negotiate, but as one veteran of the team told me, they are not prepared to “give diamonds for peanuts.”

They told me that their formula is full transparency and confidence building over the nuclear program in return for “proportional reciprocity” in sanctions relief.

I assume the U.S. and the West do not want to go to war with Iran over the nuclear program – President Obama said at the U.N. yesterday that he’s not after regime change in Iran. So if diplomacy is the method of choice, it is of course a two-way street. It demands painful compromise from both sides.

Before I sat down with President Rouhani, I conducted an exclusive interview with French President Francois Hollande, who did meet with Rouhani, and I asked him about this.

AMANPOUR: And on the issue of nuclear program with Iran, where do you see the possibility of compromise? Can there be a win-win situation? Is this a last chance, do you think, for some kind of resolution of this crisis, really?

HOLLANDE: It's been ongoing for ten years. The negotiations have been in a deadlock for ten years. And each day, each extra day is an extra threat in terms of the answer that will come at some point. And we have to keep that in mind. The new president made a number of statements which are signs of opening development. And I think that here again, we have to hold him to his word. And when I see him today I will be telling him a simple thing. If Iran is willing to negotiate to give up on its military nuclear program and get a civil nuclear program to be accepted then there is a possible solution.On the other hand if the deadlock remains, what will happen, more and more sanctions, more burdens on the Iranian economy and at some point, the threat of an operation. We all are aware of that. So from that point, starting point, it is reasonable to find a compromise. So the Iranian president has to move from words to deeds.

There is no doubt where the vast majority of Iranian people stand: Squarely for moderation, reform, freedom and rapprochement with the west, INCLUDING the United States. Rouhani and his people know that. They also know that he must deliver on his campaign promise to relieve the economic hardship caused by U.S., E.U. and U.N. sanctions.

Filed under:  Christiane Amanpour • Iran
  1. Rexx

Sounds like an enlightening breath of fresh air coming in from Iran! Finally!!!

September 25, 2013 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • bspurloc

sup bra?

September 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Reply
      • Islam4fools

I like this new president of Iran.

He wears burqa like Muslim women.

LOL Who are we kidding. As long as they follow the violent message of 53 year old prophet Mohammed who married a 6 year old child named Aisha, no hope for any Muslim country.

September 25, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
      • What is going on? FREEDOM

Islam4Fools you would be wrong in that category since several Muslim nations are doing quite well. Qatar, United Arab Emirates, and several other Muslims countries have become very successful.

September 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
      • Huszaki

I am not religious person at all but you might need to come Tehran to see it yourself that people are having totally different life form what you heard or watched from CNN. I don't say we don't have any problems with Islam rules or government, in our history there were the times that we, IRANIAN, faced lot of problems from Jewish, Christianity and Muslims because we were zoroastrian. It's not Islam as problem, it is religious that misuse by people who wants to rule.

September 26, 2013 at 4:37 am |
      • acemfars

TAQIYYE shia (see wiki)

Persians and Shia are famous for taqqiye. Means you deceive and dont show you true face till you group reach your goal.
        Shias do takkiye a sunni majority societies for hundreds of years (see now results in Irak, Syria, Lebanon and Iran). Iranians do takkiye to re-surrect thier EVIL ancient "Persian" empire. They do everything to lie, deceive, misguide others...

Turks are neigbours to Persians for thousand of years and know by now you NEVER trust a Acem (Farsi, Persian)... You never know if they lie or tell the truth...
        Israel is true if they say Iran is lying to make theirr Imam Khomeini BOMB...
        Isreal is selfish and dont want any other nuclear power in ME.... but they are true... a BOMB in the hands of these mad men in Tehran is the end of the world we know...

Iran/persians dont care about the life of thier own people (Iran-Irak war, many millions dead) and they will not care about others....

September 26, 2013 at 7:52 am |
      • amir

Mr or Miss Islam4...
        I am a Muslim and I am deeply proudful that as long as follow the lovefull message of holy prophet Mohammed.
        had you read Quran until now? How about holy Mohammad biography? I think you just heard less than 10 sentences about him that are not true. I think you imagined Islam equal with Alqaede. they are terrorist and we hate them. Or prophet is the man who love peoples more than themselves.
        Pls dont condemn strictly about what dont recognize perfectly. it is good for your future and your other world.

September 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
    • maths

If this man is being genuine, he is doing everything exactly right. By addressing the world, directly, instead of through diplomatic channels, he is doing a great thing. This man, again, if he is being genuine, is making the USA look foolish, without creating hostility. I am very pleased with his actions to date, and I do hope he is being genuine. If this is a sign of peace, I am hopeful of the future.

September 25, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Reply
      • SPA

@ Maths.

Alot of "ifs" in your comment. That's the problem. There's no certainty with the Muslims, because they are unreliable. I have no problem proceeding with caution here, but I am not too optimistic. I would want to see Iran do a number of unilateral positive things before the West gives them any concessions. I simply can't trust them.

September 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
      • William Shelton

@ SPA

You just swept 1.8 billion people under the rug with your overly broad, stereotypical statement "There's no certainty with the Muslims, because they are unreliable. ... I simply can't trust them."

Now, please tell me something. After reading a statement from you like that, can you give me one reason why we should trust you?

September 25, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
      • Avex

I think it is also noteworthy and interesting that this more moderate tone from Iran comes sort of at a similar time where US, Russia and Syria was about to make a deal over chemical weapons.

Chances are Iranian feared and mistrusts the west, but with the overture over Syria the Iranians finally see that there is a a chance that with this administration US might deal reasonably on the issue, thus they come out with this more moderate tone and try to seek a deal on their own.

Interesting how something that initially seems to be a bad move in the short game might turn out to be a good move in the long game.

September 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
      • talateadineh

If the Holocaust is true, why should the Palestinians be punished?
        What is sin oppressed Palestinian people?
        why....?!!!!

September 26, 2013 at 2:58 am |
      • Ara

No politician is genuine !!!

October 1, 2013 at 4:22 pm |
      • judea reconquista

Here's what Hassan Rouhani said in his 2011 book about his time as Iran's chief nuclear negotiator, quote:
        "While we were talking to the Europeans in Tehran, we were installing equipment in Isfahan".

youtube..."Death to America chants in Iran"
        youtube.."Palestinians Celebrating 9/11 Attack"

October 2, 2013 at 5:13 am |
      • elvinmerij

Neville Chamberlain promised us that Hitler was an ok guy too.
        Let's reserve judgement on Rouhani until they allow full-time UN inspection of their nuclear facilities.
        Until then .... uh-uh.

October 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
    • Thetruth

I think peace should be given a chance, just that some people benefit from not having peace so will continue to oppose it. I really don't like how Amanpour addressed the Syrian Foreign Minister the last time. I hope she learns respect and tries not to be too biased. If not, world leaders should think about boycotting her

September 25, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Reply
    • Humanity4ALL

Not that Fast.
      Iran needs to cross bridge to reach US, The tollway on that bridge is controlled by Israel and there good friends Saudi Arabia. They will never allow Iran to pass through that tollway.

September 25, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Reply
    • Craig

How amazing the self-delusion. Rouhani stated yesterday that Iran is NOT making nuclear weapons, which is the only point of the sanctions and the "negotiations". If Iran is NOT making nuclear weapons (sure, right, you can believe him), there is nothing to negotiate. This is the most obvious stalling tactic in the history of diplomacy, but look at all the Americans acting as if it were real. You people should be embarrassed.

September 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Reply
      • Jack Hollis

The ignorance of the liberals knows no bounds.

September 25, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
      • javad

How come with your capabilities you aren't in the negotiation team? So just because US says that Iran is going to build a bomb there is no need for negotiations? Yea because US officials never tell lies, whatever they say are 100% facts. Why waste time just bomb the country, why stop there? just bomb the whole region. Saying this from a point of view of a country that used nukes on ordinary people and supported the crazy Saddam Hussein in using chemical weapons against it own people and Iranians is so noble.

September 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • Giggidygee

Have you ever seen the 1996 film " When Mars Attacks" ? This is going to end up a lot like that lol.dont get your hopes up.

September 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Reply
    • ajinla

to evey action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Bush's speech of the Axis of Evil, produced Ahamadenajad. President Obama's non-Axis of evil produced President Rouhani.. Now the 60 thousand Dollar question is, will the US stay true to its peacful intentions and not kowtow to Israel's pressure? lets wait and see....!!!!

September 25, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Reply
    • Jack Hollis

Lightweight thinkers are easily fooled. Example, Obama.

September 25, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Reply
    • Minas Kanetos

Nah, CIA does not give a dime my friend. They will start the lollipop that: "In reality Iran wants to go after nuclear weapons" and that "a change of persons cannot convince "the world" that IRan really changed" (pay attention to this expression "the world": It is a standard expression of the CIA when they want to present a clearly US-only view, as an opinion of the whole world!) etc etc.

As if the country who is THE ONLY ONE who nuked CIVILIANS, TWICE, has any right whatsoever to express an opinion on the issue.

September 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Reply
      • Brb

And it's because of the horriffic destruction of those 2 incidents that the U.S. abhors use of those weapons ... not to mention that one big strike by the U.S. and Russia would annihilate the world.

September 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • billy

Rouhani and the head burga man wants nukes. This is all just a bunch of BS.

September 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Reply
      • AbetterWay

Hey if the rednecks can have nukes, why shouldn't the burka men have it.

September 28, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • tiger

ahahah CNN stop lying you translated his words totally upside down.

September 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Reply
    • Alex

Perhaps,we need to understand,that Iran will offer the deal,only if be able to produce its needs,and suply ,some states,peaceful materials.If France is making threats,let be it,Iran will not give up enrichment,Goodluck

September 25, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Reply
    • Chris

Rouhani was the lead nuclear negotiator and he proudly wrote how he was for over two years able to tie the US and the rest of the world up in pointless negotiations while Iran was able to continue their march toward nuclear refinement and avoid serious sanctions. Now Rouhani wants to engage the US in more negotiations and of course the Supreme Leader has given him the okay to do so especially after he was so successful last go around of delaying and stalling serious world action against Iran. Now we are supposed to believe that he wants to negotiate in good faith?

September 25, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Reply
    • jimmy lim

Rouhani is merely playing games with US. Iran will not give up enrichment. Different approach but same goals

September 27, 2013 at 6:48 am | Reply
    • rickirs

Surely if Iran looked at other muslim countries such as UAE, Saudia Arabia, Malaysia, and Indonesia it'll see that propserity doesn't require nuclear weapons, jihad against the West or nonmuslim religions, and big armies. It will see nonmuslim nations with less people and economic resources live in prosperity. The Iranian people see this but historical agenda of the government has not. Peaceul reapproachment with the rest of the world should be very good motivation for Iran now. Hope they don't squander the opportunity before the face of the US government changes.

September 28, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  2. Mina

It was a fantastic article and an amazing interview.I 'm an Iranian girl and I 'm really hopeful....actually,hope is last thing we have...

September 25, 2013 at 11:53 am | Reply
    • flambeauxfire

It would be nice, wouldn't it? Iran does have a place in the big leagues of the world. It's Persia, for God's sake! An amazing culture. Bush did a lot of harm with that stupid speech, and Ahmadinejad was just an angry man looking for a fight. I hope things get better now so I can go there and finally see the culture I've found so fascinating and beautiful

September 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Reply
      • Mina

!We are not enemies,we love Americans.I wish we can live in a world without war ...a peaceful world with friendship and happiness...You should come to Iran and enjoy visiting this beautiful country,I wish someday I could go to US as well!!

September 25, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
      • Farshad

I'm an Iranian guy and I agree with Mina... We love Americans! :)

September 25, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • Eric

I am also a Iranian, and I wished you keep your hope for a different regime that are not mullahs. These are just faces of puppets of the regime that is still holding Iranians hostage.

September 25, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Reply
      • shoval

im from israel and i totally agree...
        u guys really need a different government that works for u all in a REAL democracy and not a puppet one

September 25, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • shoval

do you love israelis too?
      well here we know all too well that his kind words are most likely be a disguise of his real intentions...
      trying to blind the world.
      if we do see serious actions to stop the nuclear program...things can really change.
      btw he is not really the leader...its all up to khamenai the true dictator...and not his puppet.
      i still hope the pressure will make him decide to stop this and stop trying to destroy us...but its highly unlikely

September 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Reply
      • Ahmad

Hey, I am an iranian and I am really enjoying to read the comments. it is really funny one man can bring war to your country and world just like Hitler or saddam hussein and one man can bring peace, the thing is the peoples dont have any problem if you leave them alone they could be the best friends but just because of a stupid line "border" and one stupid leader they kill each other.
        you know how they did that?? they dont tell you that we all humans and we all are the same they just focus on the differences. thats the problem.

September 25, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
      • Ethan

Dear Friend the path through Real democracy and maturity takes more than what you think, we ( Iranians ) have had the same doubt as you have about our new president, but we see some real changes that the government committed , and you better no that these changes are not by will of government but by will of Iran's people are going to happen, our new president got elected by the banner of being conservative , and people liked his idea,
        as an economic student I predict a beautiful future for my country , but I'm not sure what is going to happen about Israel the only thing that I'm sure is that there's not gonna be any war and the reason for that is pretty clear , 35 years passed from revelation in Iran and most of hard liners are gone , People are not supporting the idea of war therefore there is no back up for both countries.

September 25, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Jack Hollis

If you are truly an Iranian girl, you know better than any of us that the real power in Iran is the Mullahs. The president serves at the pleasure of the Ayatollah. Can you honestly state that you believe that any of these people have suddenly seen the light and decided to give up their plans for nuclear weapons? There is an old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me". The Iranians have fooled us so many times they are convinced we are fools. The only way we can believe that they have changes is to deny the teachings of history.

September 25, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Reply
      • parisdweller

I fully agree. Plus there's this propensity, inherent to Islam (both Sh'ia (Iran) and Sunni), to lie to unbelievers. Google 'taqqiya' or 'kitman' to understand how this works and how it's encouraged by their holy book when it suits their goals. The West needs to wake up to the double-speak of this 'religion'. Shocking that a journalist who thinks of herself as experienced doesn't do her homework when dealing with this subject. Our entire mainstream media is taken for a fool.

September 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
      • Ahmad

Dear Jack,

Please tel me why we should have nuke weapon ?? if we kill our self we can have 1 or 2 nuke head after one year but usa have 4500 nuke heades Israel have at least 300, if we fire our only one nuke head and if it is even pass the iron dome and hit the Israel and kill to many innocent people then what?? 300 nuke head and unnumbered of chemical and biological weapons will destroy our country.
        We will be the biggest looser of a nuke conflict. !!!!!!

September 25, 2013 at 11:38 pm |
      • Mina

Dear Jack...I ask you one question!Did Iraq have any chemical weapons?Or that was an excuse for a war!We haven't start any war since 200 years ago.. .we are tired of wars...I know that Islamic Republic is not our dream government...I know that there are many problems in my country....but we try to live here,we love our country and we try to make it a better place....how can you be so sure about our aims to have nuclear weapons?I know Rouhani is not a perfect man...but lets be honest...Obama is a perfect leader?Or Bush was?A month ago there were huge possibilities about another war in Syria and many people all over the world were against it!I want to say lets live in peace...lets be friends...Americans...Israelis...

September 26, 2013 at 9:03 am |
      • Mina

and for the last part of your sentence...when exactly we have fooled you?When US government made a coup d'etat
        for Mosadegh Government?When US and other powers in the world sold weapons to Iraq in our 8-years war with this country(a defend war actually)I know we did many foolish things as well(hostages and many things)But it is a chance to change...the sanctions made our lives terrible...who are guilty/...innocent people of IRAN?

September 26, 2013 at 9:12 am |
  3. Gervais

"I wonder whether they realize what a difficult and long road it will be for the Obama Administration to persuade Congress to lift U.S. sanctions. I wonder whether the U.S. realizes that Iran is not prepared to capitulate."

well as you point out the problem may come from the USA Congress and their "close minded" representative.America,,American are saying enough of WARS,,enough of this "speech of deaf" that we can still see on Cspan.America is NO LONGER a LEADER as she used to be and Congressman,Senators must and should understand that as your President as Understood because of his World Vision.Your President as shown that he is a Man of Peace as Bush was a Man of Wars and confrontation as a good cowboy.So whhat is a head of America is show the way to PEACE ,,,will the Jew Lobby gave the President a chance ,,,,,,,,,,we will see!!!!!!
    Good luck America.Peace at the Man from Iran .

September 25, 2013 at 11:53 am | Reply
    • alex valian

Gervais: Good Words. I hope the US Politicians understand the point raised by Amanpour, which in persian means" child of peace".

September 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  4. DC Observer

This is an historic opportunity for change in the Mideast. Obama needs to do two things... .and it is an open questions if he can or wants to.

1. Obama needs to ratchet down the military threats; he cannot act like he did in Syria, Libya, and Egypt
    2. He needs to warn Israel against any preemptive strikes against Iran. And Israel must recognize, that it has ILLEGAL nuclear weapons already so it does not have a leg to stand on here. Obama must not be drawn into a conflict with Iran on account of Israel.

September 25, 2013 at 11:54 am | Reply
    • DC Observer

A potential proverbial fly in the ointment here is if Iran steps up and says it will abandon its nuclear weapons programs and allow for transparent UN – US inspections but only if Israel will give up its illegal nuclear weapons...

September 25, 2013 at 11:56 am | Reply
      • adam

Maybe the US should give up its illegal nukes as well

September 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • What is going on? FREEDOM

Not trying to downgrade you or anything but Israel never signed a U.N. agreement preventing them from creating or owning nuclear weapons, hence they have done nothing illegal.

September 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Reply
      • jhonny Ausemkock

Right? Such arrogance! If they didn't sign it, they can't violate it. Not complicated. Such hatred toward Israel, yet you aren't even familiar with what treaties they're party to. Such ignorance combined with blind hate sounds rather Tea Partyish to me. But that's just me.

September 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
      • What is going on? FREEDOM

jHonney actually I agree with the individual above. I'm not a Tea Partier. Why would I want to be a part of a bunch of wannabe crybabies. I am just stating that Israel has never signed a treaty like other countries have about nuclear weapons.

September 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
      • Frad

Funny you should mention that! That happens to be the same argument Assad has had about his chemical weapons. He never signed any declarations that would prevent him from manufacturing or using chemical weapons, and therefore he hasn't done anything illegal!!

September 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
      • What is going on? FREEDOM

Frad unlike Israel Assad most likely used chemical weapons, which is a violation to the treaty he signed to not use them. He never signed the treaty to destroy chemical weapons, but he did sign a treaty preventing any use of them just like his father did.

September 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
      • Really?

What you’re saying makes no sense.
        First you condemn country A for trying to make nuclear weapons, independent of them signing a treaty saying they will not, they currently do not possess nuclear weapons and have continuously stated they will not.
        With the same breath you defend country B who is threating war with country A due to their premise that country A is lying about their intensions, all the while when country A has not signed a treaty saying the will not develop nuclear weapons, HAVE nuclear weapons and refuse to even admit that they have them.
        You are the one clearly biased here, this is a double standard. If Israel wants to tell its neighbors you cannot develop Nuclear weapons but I can, then im sorry, I have to side against them.

September 25, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
      • What is going on? FREEDOM

Really?? welcome to politics. That is the truth of it. Israel has never signed a treaty preventing them from having nuclear weapons (which I disagree with completely) and Syria has signed treaties preventing them from using chemical weapons which are also a form of wmds. I am unsure where you are getting the confusion from but those are the facts.

September 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • bspurloc

the USA telll Israel to do something? r u clueless? we are Israels puppet.
      they infiltrated our government and the movie industry and we give them $$$$$$ in AID to pay off politicians bra

September 25, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Reply
      • dapper98

hahahahahahahahahahaha, infiltrated the movie industry!!!!hahahahahaha, what a brilliant argument!!!!!

September 29, 2013 at 8:31 am |
    • John

So what did Obama do wrong in Egypt, Syria, and Libya anyway?
      1) THe USA did not make any military threat in Egypt, nor did they take any military action.
      2) The USA was part of an international coalition, approved at the UN, for their actions in Libya.
      3) Obama sought congressional approval for action in Syria, with perhaps a consequence being that suddenly Syria brokered a deal to hand over their chemical weapons.

Not a bad track record, I'd say, and now Obama is seizing on a peaceful opening from Iran. No complaints here.

September 25, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  5. its pure nonsense..this was all arranged to give appearances

what claptrap and alllll of these talking heads know it, so why are they selling these lies? to avoid having to do what will ultimately have to be done...what a disaster we are courting here....

September 25, 2013 at 11:55 am | Reply
    • DC Observer

And you are talking about who - Obama?

September 25, 2013 at 11:57 am | Reply
    • Mina

I think he is talking about Rouhani!

September 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Reply
    • Really?

I think he is talking out of his arz.

September 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Reply
    • Jack Hollis

Thank you. You are a voice of common sense in a sea of ignorance. Everybody has an opinion and they are welcome to it but to try and persuade others on something you have given no thought, study, research etc to is the height of stupidity.

September 25, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Reply
  6. reasonablebe

Let's hope and be optomistic with great caution.....don't hold your breath.... actions speak louder than words, much louder.

September 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  7. Tom

Now if the Tea Party terrorists in the USA will just shut up, maybe something can be accomplished.

September 25, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Reply
    • bspurloc

u mean the Christian Taliban and their Shariah law war against women

September 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Reply
    • Jack Hollis

You have just given all of us ample reason to ignore anything you say.

September 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Reply
  8. jhonny Ausemkock

Different? Yeah, maybe this guy will only arrest and torture Gays, Christians, and political dissidents, instead of executing them. That sure would mean a world of difference, eh?

September 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Reply
    • javad

One thing that he won't probably do is to release a white guy after shooting a black teen.

September 25, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  9. ahmad

تمام رفتار ایران در برابر امریکا و غرب کاملا بجا می باشد در رژیم شاه آمرکایی ها هیچ احترامی قلبا برای گفتار و رفتار مسئولین ایرانی قائل نبودند اما حالا مبی بینیم که آنها دقت در رفتار و گفتار مردم و حکومت مردان ایران دارند

September 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Reply
    • Dara

Khob adami ke danast mesle shoma fekr mikone, vali avame Iran daghighan bar ax fekr mikonan.

September 25, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Reply
    • desert voice

Please someone translate these words, so that they may be useful in this dialogue for all!

September 25, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Reply

September 25, 2013 at 1:59 pm |

------------
        IRAN: Peace and Friendship
        USA: oh,NO
        IRAN:So what?
        USA:only WAR
        little Israel: OK,hehehe,it is right.
        IRAN:We're Iranians,Our background is good ,so NO WAR!
        USA: NO
        -------------

September 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
  10. Joe

It amazes me how absolutely ignorant the left wing nuts are! This guy hold ZERO power! He is just a puppet for those who really control the government. The Ayatollah controls everything. Anyone who believes that IRAN does not want nukes is plain and simply, "STUPID"

September 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Reply
    • bspurloc

more amazing if the idiocy u r.
      the article clearly states your rant. turn off rush and read.

September 25, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Reply
    • Frad

You obviously have very little understanding of Iranian history, political issues or interests. There are many reasons for Iran NOT wanting to acquire nuclear weapons, and there have been no credible evidence as of yet to substantiate such claims.

September 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Reply
    • Jack Hollis

Amen, brother, you just hit the nail squarely on the head. Obama wants success on something, anything, so bad that he is emulating Neville Chamberlain of Britain during the lead up to WWII.

September 25, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Reply
  11. Nostradamus

Somebody from the middle east will rise and be loved by the western world; he will be the anti-Christ and he will bring WW3

September 25, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Reply
    • Really?

Meds? Please take them before posting....it helps us all, K?

September 25, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Reply
      • Jack Hollis

That was cute the first 10,000 times it was posted. It is rather ignorant now.

September 25, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
    • sam e savar

hey bra, since nostradamus wrote his delusions each ofém has been attributed to 10000 events, and when saint pole (a fired jew khakham) wrote about antechrist, west meant greece and jerusalem and turkey etc. catholicism is kinda'worshiping "sun"(mithra" in indoiranian words) look at your weekend name (SUNday) you even celebrate the day of sun's birth as jesus's birthday!! (december 21st, then moved a few days because of calendar changes) dont b fanatic, it's 21st century now

September 26, 2013 at 10:32 am | Reply
  12. bspurloc

a Resolve starts with talking. not bombing.
    no more bombing till we pay off Bush's wars and congress allows Bushs wars to be paid off.

September 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Reply
    • Jack Hollis

Too bad that you love partisan politics more than you love your country and countrymen.

September 25, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Reply
  13. James

Same guy you claimed was just a 'token', part of a rigged election. Yet now he's president?

September 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Reply
  14. Nostradamus

A leader from the east will rise up and bring hope to the world. Western leaders will applaud him until it is too late for them to discover that he is the anti-Christ and will bring the end of days.

September 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Reply
  15. Choir Loft

Too bad Ms. Amanpour doesn't have the ear of POTUS Obama. Only those who have designs of war and discontent against Iran do so these days. Instead of raproachment the manipulations of America for Iran are driving the ancient land into the arms of the Russian bear. It is better to have Iran as a belligerent neutral than an ally of Russia.
    and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

September 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Reply
  16. Dan

Asssholes CNN delete all comments critical of Iranian liar Amanpour

September 25, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Reply
  17. Chandra Shekar

Fight the evil with good.
    The israelis sure not gonna like this.

September 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  18. Bill

He might be different, but he's not in charge. We've seen this before. A moderate Iranian President enters into negotiations just to be pulled back by their "supreme leader" when things weren't to his liking.

Our president should not be meeting with this man. He's not a peer of our peer of our president. Whatever negotiations that go on should be conducted at the secretary level, and if it comes time for a summit, that should be between Obama and their Supreme Leader, not his underling. Otherwise, we're falling into the trap of the man behind the curtain seeing what kind of concessions he can get while committing himself to nothing. We should not fall for that twice.

September 25, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Reply
  19. PCollen

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I would remain skeptical of Iran's rulers regardless of what they say. Actions speak louder than words. And, speaking of words, I'd ask President Rouhani to repeat what he said about the Holocaust in Farsi and Arabic..just so nothing is lost in translation.

September 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  20. Dara

I am an Iranian and would like to see a good if not friendly relationship with America. We have never had anything against the American people.
    If the US government under pressure from the Israelis and the Us's own Jewish lobby fails to reach an agreement with Iran mainly on the nuclear issue and continue their hostile policy towards Iran, the Iranian people will be convinced that lack of agreement is not the fault of the Iranian establishment.
    I fought during the worst days of Iran Iraq war and I tell you I hate war. I didn't realise how much I hated war until I saw my diary which I thought was lost, but one of my sisters had it. The American government should know that despite our hatred of war because of those 8 years of war with Saddam (both the US and the former Soviet Union supported Saddam), we are prepared to fight and defend our country and our rights again.
    We are hopeful of a peaceful outcome in our dispute with America and Israel and at the same time ready for war. I don't care what Rouhani says, but the Iranian mentality does not allow capitulation.

September 25, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Reply
    • Joe

Give up the idea of nuclear weapons and join the civilized world or eat sand.

September 25, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Reply
      • Dara

We do not want nuclear weapons, but if you attack us we will get some sand from your friends the Saudis and gladly shove it down your throat you worthless creature.

September 25, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
      • peaceforall

A redneck speaking to his pigs in the farm. And Joe wants to project his "civilized" view on the entire word.

September 26, 2013 at 3:53 am |
  21. Canadian Eh!

I may regret posting this but I am very impressed and pleasantly surprised by the messages coming from the new Iranian President Hassan Rouhani:

He seems to be well educated on world and regional affairs, he is a strong supporter of a Non-nuclear Iran, he is accepting of other religions, and he openly recognizes the value of all human life.

#Fingers-crossed

September 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Reply
    • Jack Hollis

And of course he never lies, just like all Iranians and even all Muslims. Deep down inside we all know how the Muslims are but we yearn for peace so much that we are hoping against hope that a miracle has happened, while deep down we realize that these people just think we are stupid and will fall for anything.

September 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Reply
      • javad

Have Iranians lied? yes, will they lie again? probably. But for gods sake please please, Americans can't complain about others lying. The last lie that they told is still having consequences on the region.

September 25, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
  22. kevin

CNN needs to take a holistic view of how global politics are shaping up, how regional alliances are made... In spite of having a global governing body like UN, policing and bullying has not stopped.. I dont say that every body is correct or nobody is wrong. we really need to take some serious steps as we move forward
    Stop playing religious politics
    No one is bigger or smaller. Every one is equal.
    How many of them in this world know what is meant by Love and Peace? We really need to make every one understand this to effectively employ it in day to day lives...

September 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Reply
  23. American

Amanpour is an Islamist apologist and an anti-Semite. The Rouhani's word is as good as Obama's. WORTHLESS

September 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Reply
  24. Fredsta

Excellent journalistic diplomacy, Amanpour! Empower the moderates!

September 25, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Reply
  25. sayed javad

it sounds fair article, Iran always seeks peace, president Obama please listen to your heart not extremists

September 25, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Reply
  26. Iranian Liberal

Actions are louder than Words.
    In case of IRAN and Syria it seems that West has more interest in Words for the price of People's lives.
    If Rouhani is a " Reformist " ( in Islamic terms ! ) , he better begin it in IRAN by giving Iranians their personal freedom and rights of privacy instead of harassing women and youths in streets for their cloths or hairstyle and stop " Fashion Policing ".
    Give a free internet to people and stop persecute Internet users. Stop Persecute Baha'i s and Christians and other religion believers. Free Political Prisoners and Stop the massacre of Iranian Opposition members in IRAQ.

As in the past with Hitler and Saddam and Qaddafi and all the ruthless dictators, the policy of appeasement would bring a painful disappointment to Civilized world and destruction to peoples living in dictatorships.

September 25, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Reply
    • iranian bileral

I am Bileral Man & Love volyball ...
      how about you?

September 25, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  27. Bobbb

Hassan Rouhani, has learned the value of the old saying "Keep you friends close, and keep your enemies closer." He knows they can do more damage covertly, especially now that the world has caught on to their tactics and goals. ANYTHING TO CONQUER THE WORLD. Any lie told to non muslims if good. Any dead non muslim is good.

September 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Reply
  28. straighttalk

He likes diet cooke and Hot Dogs.LOL

September 25, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  29. Carlos

Funny how Christiane has been duped so easily, and how she now considers herself being able to see what a person really is behind the facade. The Supreme Leader in Iran is just that. HE dictates the policies of his country-not the president. The president of Iran has as much power as the Supreme Leader gives him. Christiane knows that-right? Let's remember that all the leaders are well in their years, all product(s) of the Iran Revolution. How many people really consider this president (of Iran) to be different, and how so? The aim of the regime has not changed and will never do so-the elimination of Israel. Until that happens, the tight fist of the Supreme Leader will continue to rule. I suppose now that Amanpour will be a voice for the Republic of Irtan and insist that it be treated differently, now that the CURRENT president id different than the last...

September 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Reply
    • Donah

You have a point,Carlos.. but Christiane is not "a" person to be duped easily... not for all the years I´ve followed her on CNN... Of all the reporters ms Amanpour is exactly known for doing her homework... like most of her collegues elsewhere on BBC and SKY.... Donah..//

September 25, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  30. desert voice

To her credit, Christiane Amanpour is very perceptive. Iran had seen how stupid North-Korean tantrums were, and how counterproductive.

September 25, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  31. David

Rouhani being "different" is not actually that important. He is the _number 2_ in Iran _after_ Khameni. Now maybe Khameni is using him to shift a change in policy (unfortunately, perhaps because they are stretched by propping up Assad), but we should go into this without illusions that there is a new person running things.

September 25, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Reply
  32. mahdi

hi
    I am an Iranian
    I have many friends in Iran , & I want many friend from USA ...
    Are you ready ?

September 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Reply
    • mahdi

zende bad Ali daie
      Zende bad TrakhtorSazi
      yashasin Azarbayjan

September 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Reply
    • Robert Hussein

If I can speak your language as Rohani speaks English

September 25, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Reply
      • breeze

Rohani take his phd. In scotland so he can speek english.l don't know why he spoke slowly maybe because every word has a specific meaning in terms of

September 28, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
  33. jafar

drood bar Traktor
    salam bar rohani

September 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  34. majid

terktor na traktor !
    dorost sohbat kon jafar

September 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  35. Donah

Thank you, Christiane... thank you well indeed... Donah..//

September 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  36. aurelius

Deeds are better than words.

September 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Reply
    • jafar

yes , I think OOBAmast na ba shoma
      rouhani mochakerim
      OObama mochakerim

September 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Reply
  37. meifumado

Research this mans past , what was he doing 30 years ago?

Do not believe anything he says.

September 25, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Reply
    • jafar

I Believe

September 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Reply
    • Robert Hussein

When Saddat spoke , Israeli government did not believe a word that he said, it took his life, and presidency of Mr. Carter for the government of Israel to believe, you better believe it , a conciliatory government came to power in Iran, Mr Obama is cautious because he doesn't wish to follow President Carter's steps, nor I'm sure Sadat's steps.

September 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Reply
  38. jafar

امیدوارم با برقراری ارتباط بین ایران و آمریکا , تراکتورسازی تو جام جهانی اول بشه

September 25, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Reply
    • شهین

باش ، میشه!!!

September 26, 2013 at 3:23 am | Reply
  39. Gad

Do you think the iranian president is different ? well ,let's see: 1.Does he agree to inspect his nuclear facilities?
    2.Does he continue claiming that Israel should be demolished or not?
    3.Does he support the terror around he world?
    4.Does he boast that he was the one to accelerate the nuclear programm of Iran while he was on duty?
    Well, we better call president Obama "Chamberlain" on the name of the british prime minister 80 years ago, and what is left to Rouhani is "The new Hitler".

September 25, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Reply
    • jafar

yes , i think he is different , he looks like Obama And he is very Beautiful
      1-no
      2- or not
      3- no
      4-yes
      no Obama is not New Hitler & Rouhani Is a Good man
      & Teraktoorsazi is best football team in the world

September 25, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Reply
  40. Robert Hussein

Let us for nature's sake not tell Rohani what he ought to think , let us recognize what he does think.

September 25, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Reply
  41. Donah

´Tell me... vodzo shpeshial abt Hassan ór the Supreme Leader..??.... One is just under... the other on TOP... ´Just wonder !! Donah..//

September 25, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Reply
    • Robert Hussein

He is an elected president unlike most of the allies of USA in the Arab world

September 25, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Reply

43. Robert

Rouhani is Very Lovely & Nice
    Obama & Zarif Are Friendly
    but John Kary is Unfriendly

September 25, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Reply
  44. mani

خانوم امانپور شما که تجربه مصاحبه با سید خندانو دارین.اینا از 1دسته هستند.این اومد تو بازی تا عمر این حکومت ادامه پیدا بکنه .شما با این حجاب تو ایران متوانید ازادانه بگردین؟این بازی ای بود که عمر این حکومت ادامه دار بشهMs. Amanpour you experience an interview with Seyed Mohammad Khatami Have. Thats the first category.'s Did you play the life of this government to continue going. You with the veil in Iran Password FAQ freely stay?'s Game was the life of this government's ongoing behind the mask is a dirty thing took Theocracy will not change any time

September 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  45. jdk47

Can Christiane Amanpour possibly get any more vapid and idiotic?

September 25, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  46. jafar

yes , she cant

September 25, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Reply
  47. AdeC

Not to sound pessimistic but couldn't this have beena plan by the ayatollahs to put in a moderate to give the false impression Iran has changed? Actions speak louder than words my friends

September 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  48. Julian Assange

The TRUTH is America will NEVER excuse Iran for taking FREE OIL from the mouths of the American 1% SUPER RICH with the Iranian revolution.

America will stop at NOTHING before they teach Iran a LESSON!

America will grab the closest reason for AGGRESSION, be it Iranian nuclear program, be it an Iranian trying to assassinate a Saudi ambassador of some of other FABRICATIONS Americans are so found of like the Iraq's WDM program!

So, the FACT for Iran is:
    Either you develop CONVINCING retaliatory instruments to keep American barbarians at bay or face INVASION and an ENTHUSIASTIC LOOTING of your OIL reserves, just like Iraq and Libya!

September 25, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Reply
    • jafar

eh eh ... hey boy , please go to Wikipedia

September 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  49. rltmd317

This is so funny. The president of Iran does not run the country like the president of the US. This guy is actually behind the supreme leader and the guardian council. Both which have not change their position nor direction. The only changed is this guy is saying things that make the west feel good but have ZERO real impact. They must be laughing their heads off in Iran.

September 25, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Reply
    • javad

this is so funny, president of US can't pass a bill.

September 25, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Reply
  50. acrabahyiouspe

I haven't seen the slightest indication from Iran that they will abandon their path towards nuclear weapons capability.

They have given the world a lot of sweet words. In exchange they want something major – economic sanctions to be lifted.

Their sweet words of tolerance masks an extreme xenophobia towards non-Shiites. They can't tolerate Sunni governments in the region and are trying to undermine them. They can't tolerate Christians and put them, like Pastor Saeed Abedini in jail for the "crime" of choosing a religion other than Shia Islam. Pastor Saeed Abedini is an American citizen, by the way, and is in Iran's most brutal prison.

I feel that President Obama should respond with sweet words. But the sanctions should remain unchanged for now.

As a confidence-building measure, they should release Pastor Saeed Abedini and give assurance that such crimes against humanity are not committed again.

Then, sanctions could be eased IF nuclear enrichment ceases. A deal could again be offered to Iran to enrich the nuclear fuel to sufficient levels to be usable by a nuclear reactor.

This way Iran could save face – if they are serious about getting out of the mess that they created by threatening world security.

September 25, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • acrabahyiouspe

"A deal could again be offered to Iran to enrich the nuclear fuel to sufficient levels to be usable by a nuclear reactor."

Sorry, I didn't clarify that I meant that an OUTSIDE country should enrich the fuel for them.

September 25, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Reply
      • steve

OK, I will tell him to do whatever you wish!!! don,t worry..I said I tell him... and he will do it...

September 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
  51. Joe

And Katie Couric had a hunch that the Asaad family were actually liberal progressives trying to change Syria for the better.

September 25, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  52. Bob

ANOTHER SNAKE, WHO IS SHE KIDDING??

September 25, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Reply
  53. Bob

This from a woman who scr*wed herself across the middle east

September 25, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Reply
  54. Eric

Rouhani is using the same tactic that Khatami used it before, to grab the soft side of the regime, that the regime can stay for ever, see we Iranians are better off with Ahmadinejad or anybody hardline like him in the regime, so we can finally see the light in the end of tunnel, once it for all get rid of this regime for all. Eein Shala!!!!!

September 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Reply
  55. Nuts

Same old story. new president in Iran, new hope. All for nothing. Long as Iran harbors hostility toward the West and its neighbors ...nothing gona change. Good luck.

September 25, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  56. Bar

He speaking english like 5yo kid l:
    Netanyahu have to teach him some english.
    Iran violates human rights everytime, support syrian regime and terror and he talking about peace, Human rights and democracy.
    you have to remember that the suprime leader is the real leader and iranian president kinda his doll...

September 25, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Reply
  57. SS2

Why, as much as I want to believe him, do I have the scripture, "When they cried Peace, Peace, sudden destruction came upon them." I hope he's sincere.

September 25, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Reply
    • AbetterWay

You should stop reading the scriptures and free your mind instead.

September 28, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  58. Ddd of Israel

We do not want war. Anyone who knows anything about history of the jews and of Israel would realize we have only one way of surviving in a sea of hatred around us – be strong beyond defeat-able.
    We just can't imagine our lives with Iran, governed by a fanatic religious dictatorship, which has announced over and over again it's wish the get rid of Israel, and has acted and still acting around the world against jews (yes, jews, not Israelis only), holding a weapon that could wipe us off the face of he earth is a click of a button. We've been country-less and defenseless in the pat (see WW2) and that hasn't worked out very well for 6 million of us.
    So excuse us for judging acts over words at this point.

September 25, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  59. Fish

Anytime nations talk it is good, when they agree it is great, as long as they are talking we have hope. Something tells me the test of our ICBM in the pacific may have played a part. Iran knows an ICBM has the payload to knock out entire cities even with conventional warheads. I'm certain they will notify North Korea also!!!

September 25, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  60. javad

There are too many mind readers and "intention readers" commenting here. Wow you guys have everything figured out. How is democracy in the most free country in the world? Can you get gun control going with 90% of your population asking for it? those who criticize the Iranian government for being a puppet, Who do you think is running your country? Yes puppets there too, in Iran puppets of mullas in US puppets of gun and oil companies. There is nowhere in the world that is perfect. Iranians have lot of problems with the government but they most definitely prefer their current situation to what its going on in Syria, Egypt, Libya, and several other countries that had US democracy shed on them.

September 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Reply
    • sorena

and also the puppet of Israel and AIPACK dear friend

September 25, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  61. Jason

Rouhani is different from Ahmadinejad, only in his approach to the World. He's actually a lot more dangerous, because he's more charismatic and softer spoken, leading people to believe he's sincere and want's change. He's the puppet of the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, nothing more than death and destruction with a smile.

As he's wooing the World and Obama with his words of Peace, the Iranian Government is working double time on attaining a Nuclear Bomb to threaten and use on Israel. If people are to naive to see the true intention of this wolf in sheep's clothing, we're in trouble as Human beings.

September 25, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Reply
    • AbetterWay

It's just great to see that you have so much insight into someone else's mind.

September 28, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Reply
  62. Mo

I hope the US and the countries participating in negotiations don't give the "peanuts for diamonds " suggestions because Iran will never accept that ,, both sides should compromise ..
    I'm sure that the US government knows the fact that Iran is the most powerful and peaceful country in the Middle East, so having instructive negotiations proceeds to friendly relations , and then the US will never need Bahrain (which is as big as a province in Iran) to meet the needs of US in the region .

September 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Reply
  63. woodcat

I was struck by the fact that he agreed to say a sentence or two in English to reach the American people in their own language. Really so how come that i do not feel reached nor struck.And in my interview I asked him point blank about Ahmadinejad’s threats and Holocaust denial. His answers are instructive and again signal to me a desire to change tone. Really and what was his anwer........ Are you naive or what. These people need to be told that the american people need to see peaceful actions and deeds before they get an interview or any other free publicity from CNN or order media. So plse no more interviews or writing before we see something constructive in deeds first!! Other than that they can pay for the commercial........

September 25, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Reply
    • Eben

Do you even know why Iran dislikes the United States and Israel? Do you have any idea what the United States and Israel did to Iran and the Iranian people? They propped up a brutal dictator. The response to which was the 1979 Islamic Revolution. The United States and Israel are directly responsible for the mess that is the Middle East today.

Get a clue.

September 26, 2013 at 2:07 am | Reply
  64. Paul Martin foreign correspondent

And Amanpour may be a victim of journalistic gullability ! Gimme a break Khamenei still calls the shots !

September 25, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Reply
  65. Alex

Hopefully next time ,you will do your research ,before making your comments,people are people,and has nothing to do with pipelines,and wider area of operations for Israel,and others, By the way folks in Israel are more than welcome ,to come to USA,it is safer here,just leave,it is getting dangerous.

September 25, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Reply
  66. Alex

Amanpour is the best source of info.

September 25, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  67. talateadineh

If the Holocaust is true, why should the Palestinians be punished?
    What is sin oppressed Palestinian people?
    why....?!!!!

September 26, 2013 at 3:00 am | Reply
  68. نیما

مرگ بر آمریکا

September 26, 2013 at 3:24 am | Reply
  69. Behnam

On behalf of Iranians and as an Iranian, I announce, We love Iran, We love our President, We love peace, We love American people, We love Jews, We love Christians, We love Muslims.Nature of Iran and Iranian is not war and hate.I announce always they are extremest among any Nations and Governments who seek for war and hate to reach their financial and ethical goal with help of selling their weapons and heavens, But I strongly assure you they are less than five percent, Majorities of Iranian and Americans and totally Nation of the world wants peace and bright future.

September 26, 2013 at 4:05 am | Reply
  70. mohsen

I would like to express my opinion on iran/us matte,
    Dear governments, keep your problems aside or find your battelfield somewhere else since we people are from the same blood.
    Regards,
    Mohsem
    From iran

September 26, 2013 at 4:52 am | Reply
  71. Chaplin

Do not trust the smiling assassin.

September 26, 2013 at 4:54 am | Reply
    • RainMaker

I feel you man. cannot trust the CIA

September 26, 2013 at 10:27 am | Reply
  72. justTruth

A must watch video.. for all americans.. about the middle east problem..
    the more people educated the better. there are several chapters here is two..

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncHGhpvLj4Q&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVYN21_THpg&w=640&h=390]

September 26, 2013 at 7:21 am | Reply
  73. M.A.P.

If Iran is sooo civilized and values human rights so much, why do they still hang gay people? It's like Sharia law rules there.

September 26, 2013 at 7:33 am | Reply
    • RainMaker

Think of Shariah law like the Federal law. In America..the President takes oath on the Bible by placing his hand on it. the very Bible which say the following. (Laviticus 20:13 - If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. )but then the President okays gay marriage as if the Bible is his daddy's property.

September 26, 2013 at 10:25 am | Reply
    • BrSol

not only gays, women too, remember Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani

September 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  74. Chuck

Why would Iran or any other nation want to build a nuclear bomb anyway? It can never be used. Terrorist might want to get their hands on one, which is all the more reason not to want to have anything to do with the bomb. Iran should have the right to enjoy the benefits of nuclear power, but work with the nuclear experts in the West on this one.

By the way, what do they do with the radioactive nuclear waste from their power plants? Let me know if you figure that one out, because we haven't.

September 26, 2013 at 9:00 am | Reply
    • RainMaker

Why does the U.S have it?

September 26, 2013 at 10:26 am | Reply
    • SZF

Regardless of what people think of Islam or the religious council of Iran, they're not fools. If they develop nuclear weapons they'll NEVER be used in a first strike attack against Israel, simply because they know they'd be utterly annihilated in the inevitable counter-strike. Nor will they sell them to terrorists, since they know it would be traced back to them.

Having a few nuclear weapons however, almost certainly prevents conventional pre-emptive strikes by other nations on Iran. Strategically, it makes sense to ensure that your enemies realise the cost of attacking you is too high (even if they can ultimately defeat you).

September 29, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Reply
  75. Rocker Malik

Most of the Iranians are simply following taqqiya, they tacitly work for MULLAHS who are supposed to be spiritual guide into folloing the world of their so called supreme "satanic" power. Where as the democratic power lies with people, they fail to understand. They need to study the progressive PARSIS of India to know how retrogress they are, stuck to 7th century ideology.

September 26, 2013 at 11:45 am | Reply
    • AbetterWay

Well, when Persia (Iran) followed the religion of the Parsis (i.e. before Islam) they regularly killed Christians, Jews and any Parsi that changed his/her religion. There's no such thing as a progressive religion.

September 28, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Reply
  76. rick

ooops. It just so happens that Amanpour had deliberately misquoted the 'president'. According to the Iranian news agency and the almighty idiot top mullah himself, the translation was a twisting of words. He never denied the holocaust. Irna also stated that Amanpour is a native Farsi speaker and could not have accidentally made a mistake. Once again, CNN, the Jerry Springer of news, reports. CNN, the most trusted-to-lie name in news. What a rag.

September 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Reply
    • Nazanin

funny! NOW u believe an iranian agency news?

September 28, 2013 at 12:24 am | Reply
  77. James M Fitzsimmons

Not too many months ago, Iran was caught attempting to orchestrate a bombing to occur in a restaurant in Washington DC. In addition to murdering innocents, the bomb was to assassinate the Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the USA. This interdicted plot provides me with more credible information for judging Iran's trustworthiness then the media's current spin on Rouhani.

September 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Reply
    • AbetterWay

and not many years ago CIA overthrew democratic governments, helped dictatorial government torture their citizens , assassinated..... well you know the rest.

September 28, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  78. kamjal

i worked whit schaen off iran spirutuellt, for many years ago
    my video about it
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URVq5Z568qA&w=640&h=390]

September 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Reply
  79. TheGreenMan

Amanpour is a little tired and here islamophilia is a tad embarrassing.

September 26, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Reply
  80. Mario

I like and thrust this guy,Everybody wants peace,only fools not

September 28, 2013 at 7:54 am | Reply
  81. Julian Assange

One has to be REALLY courageous, or naive to trust the War Prone, Trigger Happy LOOTERS in Washington...
    Will Rouhani find HONEST and RELIABLE partners in Washington??
    I doubt VERY MUCH but with the Iranians the BEST of LUCK!

September 28, 2013 at 10:35 am | Reply
  82. the one who will kill you

*Iran has the right* to a nuclear program.
    And who ever tries tu usurp that right is a thieve.
    But israel , a nation that should not be, and the us , a nation of thieves will of course desagree, along with england and france am sure.
    *Iran has the right* to have a nuke pogram.
    Or does the us not have that right , does rusia not have that right ?
    Then why do the jews jump in fear ?
    Uraniun is not only used for making bombs or electricity , its also used for long term fuel , like making a ship that can travel over the oceans for years without need to refuel, subs , SPACE STATIONS , INTERPLANETARY SHIPS , EXTRASOLAR SYSTEM SHIPS. This is what the so called *international comunity* want to keep the rest of the world from having access to.
    But who is or who are the so called international comunity ?
    the us , england, france , and even rusia , to name a few, the jews ? And there are few. I dont recognice the so called international comunity. They are a bunch of murderes and a bunch of jews intent on taking our countries , our land , our way of living , our means of survival.
    To what end ?
    Who knows! mother nature knows a brit can hardly breath in the tropic jungle or the tropic deserts.
    AH ! but jews can , I guess.
    Enough ! All nations have a right to have a nuke program , no matter how much the jews or the brits or the north americans squirm or wigle.
    Screw them all . * Iran has the right* to have a nuclear program.

September 28, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  83. zkkhan

“mullah with a smiling face” As long any Muslim country is under the influence of Mullah, may be of smiling or weeping face, no change will ever come. Take it as writing on the wall. Narrations from Prophet of Islam had quoted that in this century the worst creature on the earth will be the Mullahs of the Muslim Ummah.

September 29, 2013 at 5:36 am | Reply
  84. Shervin

We.......Don't........Have......Any.......Problem......With........USA........and......American......people......

did you Understand What I Said?!?!?!

We have no problem with any Country and any people all around world :)

Hope to friendship

Goodluck....

September 30, 2013 at 3:26 am | Reply
  85. Irfan Hussain

Iran feels that it needs nuclear weapons and much as human beings need oxygen. Iran supports hezbollah and hamass, furthermore Iran is using takiyya right now. Iran is actually funding terrorism in Syria and Pakistan.

If you believe this article, its upto you. But I'm going to be the one saying "I TOLD YOU SOOOO" muhahahah

September 30, 2013 at 7:13 am | Reply
  86. Chris

Amanpour, you are dangerous. You write: “I can certainly never forget President George W. Bush’s infamous Axis of Evil speech, which ushered in the harsh period and policies of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.”

That’s like saying the firemen shooting water at the forest caused the fire. It would be more accurate to say that Bush’s Axis of Evil speech was ushered in BY Ahmadinejad’s policies. To blame Bush for Ahmadinejad’s hatred, Holocaust denial, and repression is absurd and inaccurate.

“There is no doubt where the vast majority of Iranian people stand: Squarely for moderation, reform, freedom and rapprochement with the west, INCLUDING the United States.”

Really…do you have any evidence of that? Any polls? And would a poll even be accurate? If you go by election results, more Iranians voted for Ahmadinejad (62%) in 2009, as compared to Rouhani (50.7%) in 2013. What evidence is there that the Iranian people want moderation and rapprochement with the west? And, even assuming the elections were rigged, if such statistics could be found, what connection would that have to the policies of the tyrannical Iranian leadership in absolute control of the country?

What change? What difference is Amanpour trying to get you to believe in? She conveniently forgot to mention the fact that just days before speaking to the UN and Amanpour, Rouhani once again took part in an event in which there were calls for the destruction of Israel.

Elie Wiesel once said, “When someone says they want to kill you, believe them.” Wiesel should know. The Nazis said they wanted to kill him and did their best to accomplish that.

As for his “revolutionary” denial of Iranian Holocaust denial, look at the wording of his admission of Nazi genocide…he refers to “a group of Jewish people.” Since when is 6 million+ a “group”?

Is there a different voice coming out of Iran? Maybe yes, maybe no, but without question, Christiane Amanpour, with your own familial ties to Iran, you are not by any means an unbiased source.

October 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Reply
  87. John Geheran

As usual, Ms. Armanpour is either hopelessly naive or willfully blind. When it comes to Islam, she fails to grasp a fundamental fact that is firmly embedded in the Islamic belief system – a deep-seated hatred of the West with a particular focus on Jews and Christians. Until she acknowledges that Islam is a deeply flawed religion, responsible for on-going, never-ending conflicts in upwards of two dozen countries, she will not be a credible source for this non-believer.

October 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  88. elvinmerij

Hollande's words imply that the West has already made its own compromise - by accepting Iran's developing a civil nuclear program. Grudgingly as it may be.

So it's plain that the ball's now in Iran's court.

Iran must now show its cards.

It's entirely legitimate that an oil-blessed country could want nuclear energy. After all, Iran's oil is for export, not domestic consumption. The more oil they burn at home, the less export-based income they earn.

So we accept that. Fine. But now Iran must step up to the plate. 100% transparency - FROM NOW ON - in any and all of its nuclear-electricity programs.

Anything less is unacceptable.

October 5, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Reply
  89. Jason

Armanpour is right to describe Rouhani as different.....he's 100x more dangerous than Ahmadinejad. Even I can see what Iran's plan is: Get friendly with the West and drag on Nuclear talks, while they work feverishly to build a Bomb. Then at the right time, try and destroy Israel or attack the US.

1. Why would they build a "peaceful" Nuclear program so far under ground?
    2. You don't need highly enriched Uranium for Medical Isotopes. So, it's not for Medical purposes.
    3. They have plenty of Oil.
    4. Islam teaches to befriend and then to destroy an infidel.

Israel will be left alone, to do what the World is afraid to do.
    Zechariah 12:3 -All Nations against Israel.
    Ezekiel 38:13 -Only a protest from the US, Saudi Arabia, Great Britain and Canada, this is the Gog/Magog War.

October 5, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  90. Dave

Rouhani is just buying time to finish off his nuclear program. IMHO this is just a "honey" tactic. If on the other hand Iran ACTUALLY stopped its nuclear program, invited in inspectors to ALL its plants, THAT would be change. This is just window dressing to get the West to stop or roll back its sanctions, so that crazy frothing at the mouth Islamist Iran can finish off its nuclear program and then "sit at the table" as a nuclear power that will threaten not only Israel but the Gulf States.

October 5, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  91. WS

How can a CNN reporter possibly be so naive and credulous? A few tweets (which of course, most Iranians can't even read), and suddenly a psychopathic regime becomes moderate?

What is the source for her opinion of "where the vast majority of the Iranian people stand"? Bush's speech ushered in the "harsh" period — does she have no understanding of history or a simple timeline?

Obviously, Amanpour's creepily starstruck and drunk on her own imagined self-importance: the article is strung together around "I was there" and "my interview" and "sat down with me". She can't see that she's a "useful idiot" 2.0 — but it's more than obvious to anyone reading the article that she's a dupe for a terrifying, totalitarian, theocratic regime hellbent on nuclear armament.

October 21, 2013 at 9:25 am | Reply