Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter and Facebook Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Human impact of Obamacare

October 3rd, 2013

CNN's Christiane Amanpour speaks with Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta about the human impact of Obamacare, which is now rolling out, and what impact the U.S. Government shutdown is having on American healthcare.

Filed under:  Christiane Amanpour • Latest Episode • U.S. Politics
  1. ashok

On the one hand, it's a shame that forty to fifty million people in the world's most affluent society lack health insurance and, by extension, good medical care. Equally true that the government must be as responsible with its finances as individual households generally are, settling their bills and balancing their check books each month.

October 3, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Reply
    • dolo42

Running a country's finances as if it were a family budget is not even remotely possible and no educated economist, conservative or liberal, has ever so much as hinted that it is or should be. Study a little more about how a government's finances and then make some educated comments, please.

October 4, 2013 at 10:12 am | Reply
    • Alice

This comment doesn't hang together. How do all the other, by your definition less affluent countries, manage to ensure their entire populations? Are we perhaps not as affluent as you are suggesting? Has the rest of the world passed us by in living standards? Please explain.

October 8, 2013 at 8:38 am | Reply
  2. Charles mushumbusi

AMERICA being the big nation in military and economically.It is the shame seing they are leaders falling to agreen in the vital matters for their majority population on medicare insurence,but they are ready to agree vigoroursly going to war in the others peoples country under the humbra of undemocras.

October 4, 2013 at 2:26 am | Reply
    • CHRISTIAN AMANPOUR:PANATAG

TIP:MARING
      METRO BANK MANAGER BALAGTAS BULACAN
      POLES:

October 5, 2013 at 12:08 am | Reply
  3. H. B.

"Obamacare" is the law. Duly passed, challenged and upheld. The right-wingers want to tear it down before it's even fully implemented. Shouldn't we at least give it a year, at full implementation, before taking hardline positions about it?

Of course we should. But that's the whole reason WHY the Republicans want to tear it down now. Before we can experience it and – just maybe – be glad it's there.

There's a rather obvious pattern on the right. If it benefits the rich, they're all for it, just as they'd be all for it if we went to war. Profit. And, of course, the graft, and the reach for total power in government.

If it benefits the average American, you can bet they'll be flat-out against it (unless there's some way to weasel some graft or benefits for their owners out of it). They WANT the average American to be held down. They WANT to destroy the middle class, utterly. That would make the country fold, after which they'd be able to pick up the pieces – THEIR WAY.

The ending of that story would be a nation ruled by an elite, with absolutist ways of keeping the people desperate and thus controlling them. Call it by whatever historical name you like, that is what the result would be. That result would be the destruction of democracy. Exactly what the right-wing wants.

We will either cut them off, or we'll all be lost to their whims.

October 4, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Reply
    • Gar Camerony

Oh please, drop the class envy crap. Obamacare is already causing catastrophic effects to our economy. People are losing their insurance and those who aren't are seeing their premiums skyrocket. Many have lost their jobs or are being cut back to part time work because companies simply can't afford Obamacare. This is not an accident, but part of Obama's design to bring America to it's knees. Read Coward-Piven if you want to know what he's up to.

October 7, 2013 at 2:44 am | Reply
      • GovVet

I am a government employee affected by the shutdown. Of course, I have insurance through my employer; however, my unemployeed boyfriend do not have any insurance. We have been searching for some affordable insurance while he have been for employment. The Affordable Care is by far the best one we have come across. I have not seen my premiums skyrocket and if so, it would not be worse than him being uninsured and having to come out of pocket for any doctor's visits. Where are the people at that are affected negatively by the Affordable Care Act?

October 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • Gar Camerony

Also, "slavery" was once the law of the land.

October 7, 2013 at 2:46 am | Reply
  4. Ella

I have to admit that I do not understand at all what is the problem with medical insurance in the USA. I'm European and in my country, the EU member, all citizens get the medical insurance, no matter if they work or not. If you are unemployed, you just register in the Labor Office and you get normal medical insurance. When you get sick, you can go to see a doctor and get medical treatment for free. That is the way it is solved in Europe and it is totally normal for us. I really do not get why some US. citizens don't have the right to free medical treatment. If any politician in my country even tried to change the law and quit the rule of medical insurance for all citizens, surely won't win any further elections. Of course, all working people pay for medical insurance, it is part of our taxes. But, if anyone gets sick, have the right to get help for free. Very social model indeed.But, is it not better?

October 5, 2013 at 9:16 am | Reply
    • GovVet

I understand your medical insurance policy there and I believe that is the road our President is trying to lead us on. I work and don't mind paying for health insurance for me and my kids. There are those that work and dont have it because they just cant afford it. Many of our lawmakers are out for helping big businesses and rising themselves, but at the same time trying to step on those that are trying to just keep their head above water.

October 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  5. Joe

This argument is all about money or, to be more specific, debt and while the republicans complain about the democrats spending on social programs it is the republicans who have caused the major part of the national debt by unnecessary defence spending. Before Bush part 2 it was about 3 trillion, when he left it was 14 trillion. These are unimaginable figures. Where did all that money go? It wasn't spent on healthcare. With 11 trillion dollars you could probably have provided free healthcare and education for EVERYONE ON THE PLANET and you would have some change left over. Maybe it would be a good idea for the government to stay shut. That way at least they can't spend any more money.

October 6, 2013 at 7:38 am | Reply
  6. Dimitrios Gr Stravolemos

Ομπάμα να «παρακάμψει» Το Κογκρέσο .... σχόλιο anevakos! νέα! Τύπο! " View-to apreciate" Ειναι Εθνικη ανάγκη τώρα ο Πρόεδρος Ομπάμα να «παρακάμψει» Το Κογκρέσο για να μήν ολοκληρωθεί η καταστροφή της αμερικανικής οικονομίας. (...Γιά τίς Μεγάλες Επιπτώσεις που θά προκυψουν.....Εντός.... &!..... Εκτός...εις... βάρος του Αμερικάνικου εθνους... Σέ πολλούς ....Τομείς! (anevakos!new!press!!)

October 6, 2013 at 7:42 am | Reply
  7. Jen

I currently pay $175 a month for health insurance, and my employer chips in half. I have good coverage that allows me to go to the doctor whenever I need to and pay a $35 co pay. If I needed to go to the emergency room or become hospitalized I’d pay for 30% after I meet my $2500 deductible and rest on the knowledge that I have a $5000 per plan year maximum out of pocket cost. I’m very healthy, have never been without coverage, and am secure and have been secure and happy in my health care. Until now. Under the new law, when my plan renews in 2014 I’ll be paying $475 for similar coverage, and my employer will not be chipping in more than he already is. He’s actually not required to chip in anything because our company only has 8 employees. I simply cannot afford this, and earn too much to qualify for subsidies. If nothing changes, when my plan renews in 2014 I will, for the first time in my life, be forced to go without insurance. I’m terrified of what this potentially means for me financially, and how my health will suffer. I feel abandoned by the system, and let down by my government.

Its great that poor people can get health insurance, and that sick people cannot be denied coverage. However, it is hardly fair that I should be forced to go without for the benefit of them.

October 16, 2013 at 11:39 am | Reply
  8. Henry Lanz

Obamacare required for all Americans. What about Americans living overseas with no USA address? The same for Medicare. I retired to Costa Rica and to my knowledge, cannot sign up for the required Healthcare for all Americans. I cancelled Medicare after years of buying MEdicare A and then realizing that it is only good in the USA.

October 19, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Reply