Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

THIS SUNDAY: "Back to the Beginning"

December 12th, 2013

This Sunday, Christiane Amanpour embarks on an incredible journey back in time to explore the history, and the mysteries, of some of the oldest stories every told.

Be sure to tune in at 9pm ET on CNN for “Back to the Beginning.”

1. Noshel

I had liked President Obama. when he first take office. I even sent him a email. on how to help bring the world together, but it seem he unlike so many Presidents before him, who are only President by Name and the occupation of the white house, but behind the scene there are forces that they including him cannot resist or override or vetoed. The President has now become a war criminal, he has the blood of thousand innocent women and babies on his hands, his Daughters, now have a baby killer father, I wonder how they feel when they see or hear of a drone strike that has killed women and children?. Mr. Obama should get out of the drone business, and use human intelligence to go after people who are in this country who are planning to do Us harm. Just think for a minute, that every country decide to send their agents in this country to kill our people, not because our people done them anything, but because of their interest in our country. This is the rational that we use to go into other people country to kill people who have never set foot in our country, what said to have done any of us anything!. their sin or crime, is because they live in a Muslim country, and we believe that they all collaborate together so we decide who we want to be our enemy and we kill them!. This is wrong, and it make Us war criminals along with the Baby killer who is sitting in the white house, Named Barrack Obama.

December 15, 2013 at 10:34 am | Reply
    • Jason

As a Libertarian, I thought that while I would not like the fiscal policies of Obama, I would agree with his social and foreign policies. I was sorely disappointed with his continuation of the Bush doctrine. Obama has pursued very, very aggressive warring of the Middle East. Even more surprising was his wanton abuse of civil rights in this country. Obama has used the cover of being a black Liberal to impose a growing totalitarian regime. As an advocate of peace abroad and civil rights domestically, I am shocked by what Obama has done.

December 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  2. Jason

I am looking forward to watching this today. I have set a recording up for my DVR so I will not miss it. However, our cable company, Time Warner, says that it is Part 1 of 2. I looked for Part 2 of 2 but I could not find the date/time listed. Is this a two part series or is this a single episode?

December 15, 2013 at 11:56 am | Reply
  3. Orllyboy

Do not take Sincerity for an act of holiness, for to be sincere is Common but holiness is GOD’s gift MADIBA was such a gift to humanity; RIP Nelson Mandela Rolihlahla South Africans will miss you, Africans will feel your absence for a long time and the world will remember you for ever. Oladpipupo

December 15, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  4. Niecey

For Christiane Amanpour, I like the fact that you at least attempt to look back in the old testament to learn what happened in the Garden of Eden. Please go back and look in the king James Version of of the Bible. There were four Rivers that came out of the Garden of Eden which is the river of Pi 'son, Gi 'hon, Hid'de kel and Euphrates. You only mentioned two in your story.

December 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  5. Hanz D.

I'm watching Christiane Amanpour's show right now, and it is a great show, but the only thing I would disagree with as a Christian Protesant is that the "foundation stone" underneath the Dome of the Rock isn't super important to my religion, not nearly as much as for Jews and Muslims, I would suspect, mostly because we focus on the New Testament and places away from the temple are more important, but also the idea of a "holy place" isn't as strong among some Christians, it is the teachings, not a physical thing like a rock.

I can't speak for Catholics, or Evangelicals, but from my perspective, the New Testament is more important for me. I also wouldn't view Abraham as the father of my religion, but rather Jesus is central. For me Bethlehem and the Sea of Galilee would be higher on my list than the Dome of the Rock and the location of the biblical jewish temple.

December 15, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Reply
  6. Courier2001

Bravo !

December 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Reply
  7. jules

a great show....Christiane you are wonderful.....I was glued to my TV receiver for two riveting hours....
    ...will be there next week for MORE !
    After my intense study of the Torah, Old and New Testament and the Holy Quran your journey took me to familiar places full of intrigue & comfort.

......observer Jules in Holy Toledo....commenting on "Back to the Begining"

December 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Reply
  8. MarcusJ

Are you kidding me! Christiane Amanpour's special tonight is nothing short of fantasy, a tale of fiction. I love CNN, but am ashamed that they would present such a religious biased program. As an Atheist, I’d like to see her present a special on my views. Doubt such will ever happen.

December 16, 2013 at 1:55 am | Reply
    • pegpaw

I certainly hope not, MarcusJ! I pray that for your soul, you will reconsider your views.

December 16, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Reply
    • AG

Such anger... As an atheist, do you believe you have a soul? Our simple human minds can't comprehend all the unknowns of the universe. Watch the Long Island Medium. Talk to those who have died and come back. I watched my Mother-in-law cross over-incredible and unexplainable. Open your mind and feel love...

December 22, 2013 at 1:37 am | Reply
    • barry w.bruington

Amen MarcusJ amen what is it in these peoples brains that allowes them to believe in such utter nonsense ? I believe in things that make sense plain common sense. I know for a fact everything we can see touch smell love hate etc.. was created in a super nova. every atom heavier than hydrogen in the universe was created in a sun (star) by a process called fusion. This is no theory no not at all its a fact for we can actually see it happening all over the universe. Stars explode and spew out all the elements we are made of and its the only place these elements could have come from. I think these believers in utter nonsens are missing somthing in thier brains, I really think they have not evolved to the point we non believers have. I suggest all believers google this – are religious people stupid ? And then read some sites. Oh read anything but the bible ? Ya thats (their) problem they do not read anything or watch the science channel for they do not like science at all.

December 22, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Reply
    • Dan

Doubt they will present your view? Really? They've been teaching your baseless ignorant atheist views for decades in our schools. despite it's extremely weak facts and ridiculously speculative science.

December 25, 2013 at 12:09 am | Reply
  9. Linda Baldwin

Dearest Christiane ( & CNN), Thank you so very much for this story "Back to the Beginning"! I found the show to be beautiful visually, profoundly intriguing, exceptionally riveting and answered some of my life-long questions that I had about my Christianity. I will make sure that my family, friends and church will see this exciting true story! Linda Baldwin in Amarillo, Texas.

December 16, 2013 at 10:55 am | Reply
  10. Kay Turk

When is Part 2 airing? I have been all over this internet and I can't find this. I saw it on CNN last night. When is part 2 on CNN. I don't want to miss it.

December 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Reply
    • barry w.bruington

Watch the science channel or history channel read some science books, read some richard dawkins, read some stephen hawking. To actually believe in religious dogma crap is to hold your mind back from beautiful truths in science. Humans used to believe the sun was a god, the moon was a god, the wind had a god, humans believed in thousands of gods. Now we ( well only ignorants) are down to one god and humans kill rape cause every kind of misery over beliefs in stupid things like heavens and hells allahs gods jesus mohads all crap.

December 22, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Reply
  11. Mary B.

Do you think transcripts for this will be available?

December 17, 2013 at 9:44 am | Reply
  12. Name*Yakov Ben Yisrael

THE PEOPLE OF THE BIBLE WERE PEOPLE OF COLOR..NOT THE SO CALLED JEW(ISH) PEOPLE IN THE LAND OF "ISRAEL" TODAY

December 20, 2013 at 7:43 am | Reply
  13. Janet

I wish someone at CNN would answer the question about Part 2. I also cannot find any information on it. If anyone hears about part 2, please post here.

December 20, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  14. M

I believe part two will be on this Sunday (tomorrow).
    Probably same time as last week
    9 to 11 pm.
    It was GREAT!!
    Bravo CNN.

December 21, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  15. Scott

Is the budget bill finished? The senate approved budget bill reportedly was sent to the President's desk on Tuesday the 20th for his signing, and an article said the President would sign it on Wednesday Dec. 21st.

Did Obama sign the budget bill? I don't see it in print.

December 22, 2013 at 2:54 am | Reply
  16. Douglas

Bethlehem University is NOT in Israel. It's in Bethlehem, Palestine.

December 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Reply
  17. David

Disappointed in this show. Much like I was with the Bible miniseries. I'm not sure what I expected. There are enough misrepresentations out there of the Bible. The expressions of doubt and relating back to theories of unbelievers were very disconcerting. A show like this draws in the faithful then gives voice to the non-believers. This show brushed the surface and did little more told us what we already know beside a few interesting glimpses of ordinary life in the Middle East. Poor journalism. For those that have never heard the story great show but for those who are familiar very offensive journalism.

December 23, 2013 at 12:08 am | Reply
  18. Warren J. Warren

A great story. Back to the beginning. That is my same quest, Back to Adam and Eve. My quest is to end Race Hate. The only way to do that is to end the many race of people. To do that is to support interracial marriage and biracial humans on this earth; starting in the USA. By year 2525 this task should be completed if the world go by my plan. My plan is found on my website: http://www.year2525superrace.com. I hope CNN will jump on board and help make this happen. The only way to end Race Hate. Back to Adam and Eve. Ain't that right? W#WW

December 24, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Reply
  19. Tamer

Does The Journalist Of This Show Understand That The Entire Faith Of Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity Corcles Around The True Existance Of The Arc Of The Covenant? Because From The Very Poor Reprentation She Gave About The Orthodox ChristianIty In EthiopiA, And Its Believe About The Location of The Arc, It Doesn'T Seem She Had Any Clue At All. It Bothers Many Of Us When A Journalist As Formerly Thought To Be as Credible As ThIs One, Ruins A Story That Millions Of Lives Live By.

December 25, 2013 at 12:05 am | Reply
  20. Francesco Finizio

Following your wonderful show of back to the beginning. Has anyone given a thought that the Eden was where now is the east Mediterranean sea? If you lower the sea level of about 250 meters, than it was a fresh water paradise with 3 fresh water rivers, the Po, the Nile and the river coming from the Black Sea. Then there was a fourth salt water river coming thru the Sicily strait from the higher level west Mediterranean sea.

December 25, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Reply
  21. Charles Rizzo

When you set up your own parameters to determine the historicity of any subject you get biased, inaccurate results. Of course these "opinions" brush with the broad stroke of subjectivity. Funny how you never hear the counter point. Post-Modernity will only allow "it's" redactions and rules.

December 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Reply
  22. bob mccoy

Completely a great piece! Thanks

December 25, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  23. Elsie

Thank you CNN for airing "Back to the Beginning" and "To Heaven and Back." These programs were fascinating, informative, and non-biased. Please continue airing these types of programs.

December 29, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Reply
  24. Carol Douglas

I recorded Back to the Beginning, Pt.1&2 back in Dec. I just replayed it today and have to say Christiane excelled in delivering such a wonderful and faith-affirming historical program. I love it. She is such a professional researcher, yet natural and believable. My question is this mini series available for purchase?

January 26, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Reply