Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Brazil President: 'My nightmares never got so bad'

July 9th, 2014

By Mick Krever, CNN

Amanpour's full interview with President Rousseff airs Thursday at 2pm ET, 3pm Sao Paolo, 8pm CET on CNN International.

(CNN) - Never in her worst nightmares did Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff imagine such a crushing soccer defeat, she told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in an exclusive interview on Wednesday.

"My nightmares never got so bad, Christiane," she said through an interpreter. "They never went that far. As a supporter, of course, I am deeply sorry because I share the same sorrow of all supporters. But I also know that we are a country that has one very peculiar feature. We rise to the challenge in the face of adversity. We are able to overcome."

Brazil, she said, will recover from this "extremely painful situation."

"Being able to overcome defeat I think is the feature and hallmark of a major national team and of a great country."

Dilma Rousseff e a derrota do Brasil

FULL POST

Filed under:  Brazil • Christiane Amanpour • Latest Episode
  1. ashok

It's only a game !

July 9, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Reply
  2. lems1802

Christiane, thanks for the interview with Dilma Rousseff. But please, don't take her word for granted! Eleven million jobs made available during her administration? C'mon! Neither believe the huge figure (millions) of people out of poverty. Love for democracy? Bulls... She and the whole 'Partido dos Trabalhores' (PT – Labor Party) actually are in favor of a left wing dictatorship. President Lula even tried to impose an official censorship to the media by demanding the news people to submit their work to the administration approval, beforehand. All this is by far worst than a mere football match defeat. What a shame!!! By the way, yes, I'm Brazilian.

July 10, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Reply
    • Armando

Your remarks are perfect. We live in an age of darkness in terms of Brazilian politics. Corruption, lack of strategic decisions, considerable worsening in education (from basic level to universities), millions being spent in propaganda (I'm using it in the "soviet" sense of this word), Petrobras very badly managed, and I could go on and on. Brazilian politics of the XXI Century is like time traveling, back to a polarized world where the capital is the only evil and the only way to exorcize this evil is by applying Karl Marx ideas. We all know quite well what happened to those who decided to follow this path. PT: never more!!! Let's try to give some sort of real future and hope for the next generation of Brazilians. For me it is too late. I am really glad I found work abroad.

July 11, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Reply
      • Marola

Don't be ridiculous, the economic policies being implemented by teh Brazilian govt has more to do with neo-keynesian ideas than marxism, only a jurassic right winger like you see socialism in them.

July 11, 2014 at 2:27 pm |
    • Marola

Lying through their teeth has become a second nature for the Brazilian opposition parties reservoir trolls like you.

July 11, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Reply
      • Nicolas

...and apparently also for for left-wing Jurassic extremists such as yourself Marola. Rousseff is indeed a neo-comm as in neo-communist. The democracy is under attack by the hordes of illiterate socialist zombies who don't care about the country as long as the rich get punished. A thieving mentality egged on by the massive pro-government propaganda of the so called mass-media.

July 14, 2014 at 10:28 am |
  3. Dorien Sutherland

I have followed

Ms. Christiane. I have followed you since the first Gulf War when you were on an aircraft carrier. Of your incisive, insightful even aggressive interviews and journalism I have nothing but respect. Well, it`s world fasmous. As a Brazilian however, I believe you let President Dilma off lightly. The loss to Germany in the country`s national (rather banal) passion is in fact analogous to deep rooted problems the country faces. Popularist leadership (Scolari is a paternal figure like she is maternal or Lula was paternal). All count(ed) on superficial optimism based on uncohesive talents. The PT government simply counted on the vast commodities Brasil has to sell without a real development or a diversity of economic structure. fact is, in the last 12 years Brasil has regressed in every aspect of society or national development. Like the football a country without a plan or the ability to fulfill goals.

July 10, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  4. Bothrops 2013

Dear Ms.Amanpour.
    The posts above just prove one thing: in Brazil, we have an extreme right wing,not very big, yet very busy-whose interest is to spread all kinds of crap about the situation in my Brazil, by the way, my country and in which I am living very well.Not a paradise, but far from being a hell.
    These groups, simply don't tolerate a fact: a man coming from the very low social level, apperared on the political scene in Brazil and succeeded in his government.Is he an angel?Certainlly not as any politician, either in Brazil or in the world.Yet, I am 71 years old, I can tell you:this is my best life period,although it came a little too late.But when I think of all the miserable years in my childhood, teen age and adult life- IO can tell you that this kind of people are just disguised fascists that hide behind moralism (e.g. flse moral) to stone those who don't belong to their conservative and hipocrit ranks.Take the famous Bolsa Família.Daily sotned by the right wing, just take a look at the Wikipedia entry,especially the conclusions of the World Bank about it. Does it look so bad as these guys say and wirte about it? Take corruption.More precisely the "Corruption Perception Index".Is Brazil so bad?No.On the contrary , Brazil is getting (slowly better positions) and countries like Russia,China,India, the whole Latin America are much worse.Is it a matter of politics?Certainly not. Its a matter of size and population.The more inhabitants a country has, the more the control of corruption becomes more difficult.
    It's a lie to try to match Brazil's current political situation with communist regimes, dictatorships and so on.On the contrary, there is a dirty war in the Brazilian media, dominatred by conservative forces.One uses the space of comments to say all kinds of insults,lies and moralist approaches to destroy only one thing: a political group-which is not composed by saints- that nevertheless works. This is more important than winning or not a Football World Cup.And excuse me,Ms Amanpour: the way you used a secondary statement of Ms.Rousseff gives a false idea that this country is near a national "harakiri" due to the loss of a football trophy.This is false.Brazil and its people, woke up the next day-mnaturally not very very satisfied-but we have many concerns other than football games to care about.
    But other games, other than the FIFA Cup are very dirty.Posts as the ones above it prove it.And some stories and articles in the international press may be added to this dirty war in terms of social communication.
    I am sick and tired to read, since the first times I could read English and other foreig languages, the distorted news about my country.Please don't collaborate with such flippancies.

July 10, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Reply
    • Vinicius

Prezado Bothrops 2013, concordo plenamente com absolutamente TUDO o que o senhor escreveu. Sou jovem, tenho 26 anos e vivo os grandes benefícios e oportunidades que este governo de esquerda do Lula e Dilma nos trouxe. É notório a melhora em diversos seguimentos de nossa sociedade. Claro que temos problemas, mas não podemos fingir que o país não melhorou consideravelmente. Quem fica nervoso é a Burguesia porque ve parte de seu dinheiro sendo distribuído para os pobres.

July 11, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Reply
    • Aldair Massardi

Bothrops 2013, Thank you for giving voice to the majority of Brazilian population. I was moved by the part you regret that the Brazilian social and economic improvement came late in your lifetime. What a pity. I do not fear the extreme right and the conservatives. They are self-defeating. What I fear most is our younger generations lacking the memory of a very worst past.

July 12, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Reply
  5. Yup

I am East European. I grew up under the communists. I loath them. Dilma reminds me of a " nomenklatur" person. The " elite" of the communists party, claiming to be blue-collar but behaving worse than a rich and corrupt hedge-fund manager.
    After all these years since the iron courtain was removed I have learned one thing: the blue-collar politicians, extreme leftists, with little education, are the most corrupt after mafia. Don't believe me? Just take a look at today's Eastern Europe.

July 11, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Reply
    • Aldair Massardi

What you think you have learned is of no importance. Facts are. If you do not own the facts about Brazil spare us from your sad and senseless analogy.

July 12, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Reply
  6. Jose Ricardo

Brazil´s economy is expected to grow less than 1% with a 6.5% inflation while the worst corruption criminals, Dilma´s friends, have just been released from jail. Meanwhile, Brazil tax payers will pay more than 1 Billion dollars in interests resulting from bank loans to build the stadiums. Dilma herself is the worst Brazil´s nightmare.

July 11, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Reply
  7. anynomous

And they'll get worse – Brazil just lost 0-3 to Netherlands for 3rd place. Bet thats the last time Brazil commits to hosting a WC🙂

July 12, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Reply
  8. Artur Cremonini

In my opinion, we need change in Brasil, because public safety worsened a lot in the latest years.Besides this, public health, public education is awfull too. The speech of our politicians i know from a long time. Too much conversation without an effective action.This workers party government was lucky because they surfed in the commodities boom,which showed to the world an economic growing in Brasil, which in reality was unsustainable.I didn't see anybody ask to Ms Dilma why invest a lot of money in Cuba, Venezuela some African countries. Another issue , for those saying that they are working hard against corruption is about the scandal knowed as "mensalao". Of course this kind of questions are not allowed.Wake up Brazilians

July 13, 2014 at 9:25 am | Reply
  9. arun kottur

Mam common man always live on hope
    Come On Join him.

July 14, 2014 at 12:43 am | Reply
  10. Karl Davis

With everything there is in the world to discuss, like economic growth, environmental protection, health care, the dangers of extreme militants – losing at soccer is worse than her worst nightmare? Can this be serious? A rare heart infection called myocarditis killed my brother last year, without warning, at the age of 38. Sorry folks, but I've had some nightmares since then that are much worse than losing a soccer game.

July 14, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Reply
  11. Bob

you got your butts kicked good on your home turf.

July 14, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Reply
  12. fred

I love this country

July 14, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Reply
  13. fred

Kicked us in our own territory bob? First tell our five star and wait for Brazil in the coming years.

July 14, 2014 at 9:48 pm | Reply
  14. mimi

how can a president not speak english

July 16, 2014 at 10:11 am | Reply
    • menuchasarah

the same way your yale-educated secretary of state (whom i respect a lot, btw), could not speak anything else but english.

July 17, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Reply
  15. Something more important than sports

Mimi: Plenty of world leaders can't speak English or have a very basic command of it. They don't need it in their country's politics and they have teams of professional translators and interpreters when they need it for visitors or international conferences.

Karl: I completely agree, this was my first reaction. How could losing a game be anyone's worst nightmare? Maybe for the players or coaches whose overpaid livelihood depends on it (look, if they never played soccer again they are still probably going to have more money than you and me combined if we work every day until we die), but still. Just look at the controversy surrounding the construction and politics of the WC stadiums. It's embarrassing for a public official of any level to say such a thing, let alone the leader of the one of the most populated, geographically vast, and economically important countries in the world. Could you imagine how pathetic it would be if Barack Obama was in tears about the Chicago White Sox not making the world series? Someone needs to get their priorities straightened. I also hope you can find closure concerning your brother in his untimely passing. My father passed away suddenly a few years ago without warning and I empathize with your pain. Keep your head up, and don't let go of the people and activities that give pleasure and joy to your everyday life.

July 17, 2014 at 2:19 am | Reply
    • menuchasarah

sorry, comparison does not proceed. the world cup is not the "world" series, and brazil is not the chicago bears.

July 17, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  16. Nelsn Paiva

She's a lier . She and her gang is a Cancer to our country

July 19, 2014 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  17. lolCAT2000

CNN – shame on you for continuing to misquote the Brasilian president!
    She never said that this is her worst nightmare – what she said was that her nightmares never got as bad as to expect that the Brasilian team would loose like that.

Since you are relating political matters that can be matters of life and death, please pay more attention to details like this.

July 20, 2014 at 7:01 am | Reply