Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Man saved JFK's life with a coconut

August 6th, 2014

In August 1943, John F. Kennedy and his Navy crewmen were stranded on a Pacific island, after their PT was sunk.

They came across two islanders, Eroni Kumana and Biuka Gasa, who were among the allied scouts who helped keep watch on the Japanese.

Because they didn't speak English, Kennedy carved a message on a coconut, and the scouts risked their own lives to deliver it – making it possible for JFK and his crew to be rescued.

Eroni Kumana died last week at the age of 93.

Click above to watch.

Filed under:  Imagine a World • Latest Episode
  1. RLTJ's

Ad the man he saved one day became lord and tried to take the place of... is there really a God.😦

August 6, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Reply
  2. RLTJ's

I've watched PT 109 when was a boy and I became crazy about Pt boats. I made drawings of them. I made clay toys with them.

And when JFK died I was one of those who grieved for the world symbol of freedom. Also he was great to have sent the first men to the moon.

August 6, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Reply
    • David Welle

Must be something in him that made people just crazy about him cuz what happened to you happened to me also. Even nowadays I still adore him more than all other US presidents. Every time I come across something about him I just have that feeling of wanting to read about him – even about members of his extended family. Must be something.

August 7, 2014 at 7:12 am | Reply
    • Glenn Stockley

and he went on to initiate the massive u.s. war crime of invading viet nam….tryng to assassinate Castro…etc..

August 10, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Reply
      • Bob

If you had done the slightest bit of research you would know that he was actively trying to take steps back from those conflicts. Some claim that the military industrial complex took him out because of this.

August 10, 2014 at 8:07 pm |
  3. Ellen

What was written on the coconut?? I can't read it...just the word 'ALIVE'.

August 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Reply
  4. My name doesn't matter

During the turbulent 60s, why were JFK & others sitting on an open air convertible during the 1963/November
    fatal Dallas ride ? Why did the Secret Service not issue a "you do what you're told to do" order to President JFK
    to sit on a closed bulletproof & bombproof limousine like politicians do nowadays ?

August 9, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Reply
  5. David Fletcher

JFK, like all the Kennedy clan, was a fake. He was nothing special, apart from the money he used from his father – who became wealthy through illegal dealings: but those who think he was a saint, conveniently ignore/forget that side of the corrupt Kennedy bunch.

August 10, 2014 at 10:37 pm | Reply
    • Dave

No one cares David🙂 get some R & R.

August 9, 2015 at 3:33 pm | Reply