CNN's Christiane Amanpour looks at how rapper Mos Def experienced a Guantanamo-style forced feeding.
By Mick Krever & Juliet Fuisz, CNN
Moazzam Begg was taken from his home in the middle of the night.
He would not see freedom for more than three years. His captor was the United States Government. He was taken from his home in Pakistan to Bagram Air Force Base in Afghanistan; soon, he found himself thousands of miles away, at Guantanamo Bay Prison in the Caribbean Sea.
The Americans accused Begg, who is a dual Pakistani-British citizen, with aiding the Taliban and al Qaeda. He denied the charges, and was never formally charged or prosecuted.
He spent three years at Guantanamo – two in solitary confinement – before the British government successfully lobbied for his release.
By Mick Krever, CNN
Hearing Colonel Morris Davis speak, it’s easy to forget that he used to be the chief prosecutor at Guantanamo Bay.
“We used to be the land of the free and the home of the brave; we’ve been the constrained and the cowardly,” he told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Tuesday.
President Obama promised to close the Guantanamo detention facility when he took office in 2009; four years later, it’s still open.
A majority of the detainees, over 100, have been on hunger strike for more than three months to protest their detention; the military has resorted to force feeding them.
Eighty six of the detainees, Davis said, have never been charged with a crime. Many of those who were convicted of crimes were sent back to their home countries, and many are now free.
“It’s a bizarre, perverted system of justice,” he said, “where being convicted of a war crime is your ticket home, and if you’re never charged, much less convicted, you spend the rest of your life sitting at Guantanamo.”
A scant six years ago, as chief prosecutor at Guantanamo under President Bush, Colonel Davis sounded like a true believer.
By Samuel Burke & Ken Olshansky, CNN
The vast majority of the 166 detainees being held at Guantanamo Bay say they would rather starve than spend another day in limbo.
One of the more than 100 men now on hunger strike is an Afghan man in his early thirties, known only as Obaidullah – a prisoner with no charges filed against him.
His only daughter was born just two days before he was taken into custody. She'll be eleven this summer, and has never met her father.
In March, Obaidullah wrote a detailed account of his hunger strike, which the U.S. Department of Justice recently declassified.
"I'm losing all hope because I've been imprisoned at Guantanamo for almost eleven years now, and I still do not know my fate," he wrote. FULL POST
By Samuel Burke, CNN
There’s a life-and-death tug-of-war going on between President Barack Obama and more than 100 prisoners who would rather die than stay alive forever at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility.
Nearly all of the inmates there have never been charged with a crime.
Twenty-three detainees and counting have lost so much weight that they are being force-fed.
A doctor's code is "do no harm," but it is also to respect the autonomy or the independence of the patient.
That’s according to world-renowned bioethicist Arthur Caplan of the NYU Medical Center. FULL POST
By Samuel Burke & Ken Olshansky, CNN
For the first time in recent memory, the forgotten detainees at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay are getting the world's attention.
The U.S. government acknowledges that 100 prisoners are on hunger strikes, though defense attorneys think that number is considerably higher. Just last month, officials said the number was only 31 prisoners.
Officials say medical staff are force feeding 21 prisoners who are at the greatest risk of starving themselves to death – an invasive process that involves running a tube through the nasal passage into the stomach and then feeding the patient a nutritional supplement. Attorneys for the prisoners describe the process as excruciating. FULL POST
By Samuel Burke & Claire Calzonetti CNN
The term enemy combatant has become a familiar one since 9/11, after it was used for detainees who were sent to Guantanamo Bay.
Dozens of prisoners at that detention camp are currently on their tenth week of a hunger strike.
American authorities there say that 84 – half of the prisoners – are not eating.
Carlos Warner, a public defender who represents 11 of the detainees, told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Wednesday that multiple sources tell him that the number is actually 130 of the 166 prisoners; he is afraid many of them will die soon. FULL POST