Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Afghan Pres. Hamid Karzai speaks out:

December 6th, 2009

Filed under:  1
  1. Ravi Rajgopal

Excellent, honest answer by Afghan Prime Minister...

Amanpour, Please realize there is nothing free...so when US president say no more free check...do you think US president will give free check...did that ever happen?

Please wake up and I think Amanpour need to be more honest rather than having baised news...

December 6, 2009 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  2. Daniel Townsend

Hi Christiane,

I just saw your interview and I must say well done to Mr. Karzai. He represented the nuanced and contextual situation of what is really happening in his country. I think Mr.Obama has gotten it wrong, it is a mistake to set a deadline of withdrawal and one that he might pay for dearly. The fact is Afghanistan is no where near the place where it won't be a challenge to international peace and security including the US, its strategic interest in the Asia and the Middle East. Interestingly Mr. Karzai might have just sent his strongest signal yet of a shaky relationship with the present US Administration. If anything the next eighteen months will be interesting, that is of course the US does start a withdrawal.

Daniel Townsend
    Kingston, Jamaica

December 6, 2009 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  3. bvroadbrush

How do you deal with Afghan d ecentralization and the issue of corruption? Is fedearlism an answer.

December 6, 2009 at 8:05 pm | Reply
  4. Jan

It is very good, that you give so much attention to Afganistan. Also this interview could be a little step to help international community to end the Afgan war and strenghten world security.
    I think new strategy should include also end of killing people. Worst of the terrorists should be arrested and sentenced, but not killed. That's the only way out of the circle of violence. That's the way how to say the opposite fighters and suicide bombers, that international community doesn't want their blood, only justice.
    I support sending new troops and new strategy, if it will lead to strenghtening security with no killing.

December 6, 2009 at 10:48 pm | Reply
  5. Judith in KC

I found the interview with President Karzai fascinating. I found it so odd that he was so quick to mention that he is having to terminate or suspend people in his government every day for corruption. What does that say about the Afghan leadership team?

I would prefer to not increase troops in Afghanistan. I think it is a no-win situation for the U.S.; if we fail to do so, we would again be accused of "abandonment"; if we do what President Obama has suggested we are accused of "nation building". Somehow that has become a dirty word phrase. We didn't do such a bad job with Japan & Germany following WWII.

I absolutely believe that the US must used unmanned predator drones in this war. It seems the only (or at least the best) way to penetrate the mountainous regions. Obviously, we have to very carefully monitor the situation of civilians, but if seems foolish to not use one of the most advanced (and funded) weapons in our aresenal.

Christiane, I so appreciate your fearless reporting. Your integrity speaks volumes, and I feel about you the way I felt about Cronkite in his day. Same for Fareed. I'm so glad CNN continues to present facts, not just opinion.

December 6, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Reply
  6. angry

It is not worth it to send our troops to the no-man land and no win war. Why does US give blank check to the Afghan? He's barother is the biggest drug dealer.

December 8, 2009 at 3:31 am | Reply
  7. Barbara Stoner

Christiane: Just finished watching your Sunday show with Karzai. I have it on DVR. I am so curious about this man. I googled him and read his bio on the Wiki (which I know can be incomplete or even wrong), and was surprised to find out that he did not spend the Taliban years in the U.S. He spent them in Pakistan, apparently trying to help his country. The bio seems to indicate a lifetime of service to Afghanistan.

How, then, if this is true, to reconcile his history with the current portrait of a man condoning rampant corruption and failing to procure the security of his people? I thought perhaps he was weak or incompetent – but the bio doesn't support that conclusion. It also doesn't support a corrupt puppet who doesn't care about the welfare of his people.

So what is the real story? What do those who have known him all his life say about him? Is it that he was left with insufficient resources? Has he been forced to accept corrupt governors and ministers in order to procure their support?

I could tell during the interview when he definitely went on the defensive, particularly when talking about corruption within his cabinet and his own family. But somehow I believe him when he says he wants the best for Afghanistan and its people. I believe him when he says he wants to be remembered as a force for good.

I was disappointed with his answers to Margaret Warner on PBS in regard to the UN. But I think there is a story here about Karzai and about what he has felt it necessary to do both to hold onto his position and to garner what little gains Afghanistan has made at all.

As I recall, you and others have said that when he first took office and before we went to Iraq, positive changes were happening.

I think there is a complex story here that neither polls nor half-hour interviews will sufficiently tell (as you well know). I, for one, look forward to hearing it some day.

December 9, 2009 at 6:02 am | Reply
  8. Lovella Mirich

I am very happy to read this. This is the type of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation that is at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc.

March 6, 2021 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  9. Lon Loder

Hi my family member! I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and include almost all vital infos. I'd like to see extra posts like this.

March 7, 2021 at 1:38 pm | Reply
  10. best THC gummies

Muchos Gracias for your blog article.Really thank you! Great.

June 29, 2021 at 9:39 pm | Reply