Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

A Syrian ‘opposition prime minister' ?

December 4th, 2012

By Mick Krever, CNN

A Syrian “opposition prime minister” could be named within a few days, according to France’s Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius.

Last month, France became the first European power to recognize the Syrian opposition as the sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people, and in an interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Monday, Fabius said he has faith in the leadership of the group.

“If we want to get rid of Bashar al-Assad, we have to show that the alternative is reasonable, and efficient,” Fabius said. “And we’ve met this coalition. The leaders of the coalition are nice people. They are not corrupt. They are dedicated to the country. And they are more and more united, which was and is an absolute necessity.”

Fabius declined to speculate on who could assume the position of “opposition prime minister,” insisting “it’s their decision, it’s not my decision.” He did say, however, that there are several names that have been floated, and they are all “reasonable and wise.”

A new reality for Syrians in Aleppo

There are still international powers that back Bashar Al-Assad – chief among them, Russia. But Fabius said that, in private conversations, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has told him several times that Russia is “not married [to] Bashar al-Assad.”

Rather, according toFabius, Russia is trying to protect its regional interests by avoiding uncontrollable chaos.

“I hope that it will be possible in the coming days to find, maybe not an agreement, but a common way,” Fabius said.

As to whether Assad is forced from office or, as some have suggested, shown the door and given a free pass to leave the country?

“I think the most important point is that he quits his function,” Fabius said. “The question of either being judged or going to another country is a secondary issue.”

NATO approves missiles for Turkey

CNN’s Claire Calzonetti produced this piece for television.

Filed under:  Christiane Amanpour • Syria
  1. lomalennot

I just saw you asking from (?) who he believe to be the next prime minister of Syria. Why you didn't ask if there is or was even 1 non- muslim option? I'm sure there isn't. Whole World is getting more and more 'muslimied' and Barrack Hussein Obama is not the minority reason for that.

'They are coming from East to take whole Europe' and that is happening right now. We, my country and people will not be part of those surrenders.

December 5, 2012 at 10:31 am | Reply
  2. Terrence Omland

" />kelly kosky

December 1, 2020 at 5:42 am | Reply
  3. Robbin Falvey

Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Cheers

December 20, 2020 at 7:08 pm | Reply
  4. Ivelisse Aniello

It’s difficult to acquire knowledgeable men and women on this topic, however you seem like what happens you are talking about! Thanks

January 12, 2021 at 1:35 am | Reply
  5. Emogene Casaus

certainly like your web-site however you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the truth nevertheless I'll definitely come back again.

January 28, 2021 at 10:29 pm | Reply
  6. Marlon Birdwell

March 4, 2021 at 9:36 am | Reply
  7. Victorina Hasencamp

I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You're incredible! Thanks!

March 6, 2021 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  8. Cannabis Edibles

Great article post.Really thank you! Really Great.

June 30, 2021 at 11:29 am | Reply