Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

What will a new Egypt look like?

July 3rd, 2013

With Mohamed Morsy out, what's next for Egypt? CNN's Christiane Amanpour explains what's in store for "the new Egypt."

Filed under:  Christiane Amanpour • Egypt • Latest Episode
  1. Darlington

It will better and strengthen democracy an help settle the of religious inflorence the muslims hardliners which is the under factors for the continueous uprising and demostration since the fall of mubarak

July 4, 2013 at 2:45 am | Reply
  2. Ola Mahmoud

Christiane – I am an Egyptian and normally a big fan of yours. I have to say I was extremely disappointed by your and the Western media coverage of the recent events. Call it what you want, a coup is not necessarily undemocratic. The voice, will and rebellion of the Egyptian people over the last two and a half year is an example of a new phenomenon called "democratic coup d'état". The military coup every Westerner is so focused on is very old school and sensationalist. I recommend you read the following article written by a US academic and help distribute it to your colleagues and immense network:

Everyone in Egypt is aware of the twist present in Western news these days and it is shameful and condescending how outsiders are interpreting the will of the large majority of Egyptians.

July 4, 2013 at 9:10 am | Reply
    • jimfromla

We must understand Christiane is just an employee. She's doesn't have the final say on her work. CNN is too invested in mainstream appearance to deviate from the US foreign policy of Democrats AND Republicans. But....we know this.

What is disgraceful is the headlines, like NPR's right now, "Egypt Begins Dangerous New Phase As Interim Leader Steps In", or Time's "An Elected President Has Been Deposed: Egypt’s Party Looks Premature" and "Egypt’s Crisis Signals the Unraveling of Yet Another Arab Nation-State".

Time's Karl Vick seems to enjoy painting Egypt as 'unraveling' and 'premature'. He's exactly the kind of Western operative that ignores the will of the people and causes these unsustainable situations. (I imagine HE thinks he'd make the best leader)

This so called journalism, transparent to common sense, actively seeks to propagate the idea that Arabs are incapable of ruling themselves. It fears the appearance of a secular Parliament, which would compromise the current US policy to occupy oil producing Middle East states. It also undermines the Israeli argument that THEY are the only democracy in the Middle East.

The good news is the malice in the West is losing, and the Egyptians are winning. Cheers!

July 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Reply
    • Batu Mykel

I agree with your reply, however "democratic coup d'état" isn't exactly new as it has happened a couple times in Turkey before. Here's the best I could find in English: http://www.allaboutturkey.com/darbe.htm – but if you read Turkish (or know someone who can) http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%BCrkiye%27de_asker%C3%AE_m%C3%BCdahaleler
      My best hopes for the Egyptian people, and the Turkish protesters (who would've been in the same situation if the government hadn't been slowly disabling the Army)

July 6, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Reply
  3. Raouf

it was the real and true democracy that ousted Morsi from his office. if any democratically elected president doesn't not carry out all his democratic duties to all his people than he will be kicked out and " Bel Gazma " and that is exactly what happened to Moubarak and to Morsi and to anyone else who tries to break the strong and free will of all Egyptian people.
    to all Islamic brotherhood if you are real men and not just a stupid little retarded kids and if you love and cares about your country and all Egyptians you will all stand high like real men and apologize to all proud Egyptians and admit TO ALL that Morsi was wrong he made a big mistake by under-estimating the power of all free Egyptians.. he abuse democracy by neglecting millions of Egyptians and on purpose too! and for that he deserve what he got and let that be a lesson to and let live like true loving brotherhood among all your other Egyptians brothers in a much happier and better and stable envirnoment and no need to shed blood but shed love and peave and prosperity among you all and that is what should happen next! Raouf

July 5, 2013 at 3:07 am | Reply
  4. Apul M'Deek-Aoud

What's it going to look like...make me laff.

It'll look like the same shi'ite hole it's been since the beginning of recorded history.

People in that part of the world won't be happy until that part of the world doesn't exist any longer.

July 5, 2013 at 6:07 am | Reply
  5. Bashir umar

Egypt would be very worsrt on what they did to their president

July 5, 2013 at 8:44 am | Reply
  6. Shereen El Miniawy

Mr. Morsi may have been elected “democratically”, although there was massive rigging in this election, yet Egyptians did give him a chance to govern.
    However, his policies – which included discrimination against women and minorities – , have rendered the country on the brink of bankruptcy and have proven that he is totally incapable of leading a country as big and as complex as Egypt, and have turned Egypt into a safe haven for other terrorist organizations such as Hamas.

So when 33 million people took to the streets and chanted “salmeya -peaceful” and asked for the removal of this president, why did you condemn them?

Why is it that this government will not accept the hard earned right of the Egyptian people to live in freedom and justice, as all people in the developed world do? Why is it that the United States welcomed the ousting of President Hosny Mubarak with open arms, and yet, refuses to acknowledge the will of the Egyptian people to determine their own future this time?

Are 33 million people in in the streets – the largest protest in the history of mankind – not enough? Did the American public not have the right to impeach President Nixon in the Watergate scandal? Was he not democratically elected too?

July 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  7. Mohamed

Hi Christiane,My respects to you.
    What happened in Egypt was not a military Coup at all proven by the video I will link to this reply.
    It was the Egyptian Military responding to the requests of the Egyptian People who came out to the streets in millions requesting the end of this radical facist regime.
    This regime was taking the Egyptian economy towards bankrupcy,It had such poor management leading to tons of issues affecting the country like power shortage and increase in prices ect ,It was destroying Egyptian tourism ,it lead to the violent unforeseen division and polarisation of the nation, It was disregarding the fact that democracy means listening to all different parties not just listening to the voices of the freedom and justice party and Muslim brotherhood as they isolated themselves from the rest of the country.
    This regime was using the poverty and illetracy of many of the Egyptian people to get their votes and this regime was using religion to reach power .
    This regime from my point of view harboured terrorism and was terrorising the egyptian people as in the last speech to the nation by Mohamed Morsi saying it is either me remaining in power or the whole country going into a state of violence that his muslim brotherhood followers and other Gehadists and terrorists that he harboured in Sinai will create a state of violence and Chaos in the Country.
    Our Military with its Vision took the right decision at the right time before the nation went into a state of Civil war.
    I know for sure that our country will continue to honour all its agreements with our neibouring countries
    I hope that you appreciate that all Egyptians want is a regime that respects their Revolutionary rights and has the vision and proper management to place the country back on track .
    Check out this Video showing the millions of Egyptians going out into the streets requesting Morsi to be out of Power ........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ1tNopb97k

July 6, 2013 at 6:55 am | Reply
  8. LetFreedomRing

What will the "new" Eqypt look like? It'll look just like the "old" Eqypt did, an impoverished third-world sh!thole dependent on handouts from the infidels. Why would anyone expect anything different?

July 6, 2013 at 11:25 am | Reply
  9. Dr. Mohamed Refaie

I'm watching your LIVE coverage of my country, and all I can say is S.H.A.M.E. on you for being so biased and ignorant, and for trying by your subjective, lopsided coverage to brainwash your viewers and distort facts.

First of all, what happened in Egypt earlier is by no means a military coup as you call it. The military's intervention was very welcome and came only as a response of what the masses desired.
    And Morsi was NOT a democratically elected president: there was massive rigging... many poor's votes were purchased with... little money or in-kind trivialities... and mosque leaders poisoned many people's decisions by convincing them that whoever wouldn't vote for Morsi will end up in hell! Now how democratic is this, taking advantage of people's poverty and ignorance???

I personally had a short chat with Morsi last September when he came to the UN General Assembly, and I instantly felt embarrassed to be Egyptian and thus be associated with such a retard.
    Rather than focusing on the tiny unknown square where the minuscule Morsi support base is gathered, how about taking your cameras to the famous Tahrir Square or to any other Egyptian neighbourhood?
    I'm listening to Wolf Blitzer as we speak and am outraged by him and by CNN for spreading such blatant lies and distorting the crystal clear truth.

The overwhelming majority of Egyptians today are in a state of euphoria because a dictator was ousted: a dictator who in one year has (along with his gang) caused the country indelible damage and has been trying systematically to destroy its economy, chase away tourists, assign former terrorists to leadership positions, discriminate against women and minorities, arrest journalists, justify harassment against us women, undermine the country's culture and art (e.g. attempting to ban ballet for being a "nude art"), instil sectarian sedition between its people, cause a massive brain-drain... an exodus of skills out of the country, deprive Egyptians of the bare essentials of a decent life, including water, electricity and fuel, etc. etc.

How about taking a peek at social media to see how delighted everyone is and how people are congratulating each other for the end of a dark era.

If there's no mention of all this, then that ill-intentioned Blitzer and the rest of his crowd should go find themselves another job and should be branded liars! Shame on you all indeed!"

July 6, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  10. Carl

It will most likely be the same anti-American, antisenitic, blame the whole world for our problems, type of regime as the previous rulers and the rulers of most of the Arab countries

July 6, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  11. chhenhchealeng

hi! TV CNN

July 7, 2013 at 3:18 am | Reply
  12. aya raafat

Our revolution will of the people and the triumph of the rule of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt
    Egypt is stronger than any terrorist organization
    Long live free Egypt
    I am an Egyptian and proud

July 7, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  13. Joseph O A

Call it democratic coup or not, a coup is a coup and the truth is that Egypt will go back in history as one of the only country in Africa under Military dictatorship in the 21st century. So bad for Africa!

July 7, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  14. dina

egypt is gonna look very beautiful s usual Specially without the Terrorist Muslim Brotherhood

and america you must Stop calling it military coup....it's aPopular revolution Against Alictatoria,.........

cnn news must be Neutral in the transfer news from Egypt without mislead..

America must stop supporting terrorism.america shoudn't be so hated from more than 30 million Egyptians Demonstrated

in streets against the Previous Dictatorial President mohamed Morsi

July 7, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  15. dina

egypt is gonna look very beautiful as usual Specially without the Terrorist Muslim Brotherhood

and america you must Stop calling it military coup....it's aPopular revolution Against the Previous Dictatorial President

mohamed Morsi.........

July 7, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Reply
  16. bwana

It took the USA from 1776 to after the civil war to start getting democracy right! Don't expect Egypt to do it overnight...

July 7, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Reply
  17. owusu isaac

Oh africa,what are we hearing,what are we seeing.oh God have mercy upon us b'cuz africa is burning.

July 8, 2013 at 11:01 am | Reply
  18. Peter Dieleman

UNRELATED TO THE ABOVE !
    Christiane,
    I have expressed my praise for your qualities, when tackling a central global issue.
    On several occasions I have asked why it seems to be so necessary to repeat your half-hourly 'amanpour' on Monday to Thursday.
    For me it simply means, that I have to switch off and – like now – find some other occupation.
    So I will ask my question directly to you:
    Is it SO ESSENTIAL to repeat 20.00 – 20.30 at 22.00 – 22.30 ?

To me it is completely UNNECESSARY.

Regards,

Peter Dieleman

July 8, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Reply
    • Peter Dieleman

Unusual !

Christiane, I am replying to my OWN comment
      simply so that the question I asked you on 8 July will really reach you !
      Please give it a good thought.

Regards,

Peter Dieleman

July 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  19. Mfonke1

Egyptian news is look like ,someone commiting Susie and very bad every time we still hear about bomblast , let them find solution about it

July 9, 2013 at 9:46 am | Reply
  20. SUH I FRU NORBERT

I think that 'new Egypt' will look very much like the one the military in consent with the masses will want it to be. But I suggest a government of national unity, perhaps a federation, not fragmentation.

July 12, 2013 at 5:30 am | Reply
  21. Kali Nicholas

heard your post on google and checked out several of your early posts. Continue with the very good articles. Ill probably be by again to read more, thanks for the info! If you have a chance check out my website. It's a work in progress, but I believe that someday it will have almost as good of content as yours. kelly kosky

November 30, 2020 at 9:07 am | Reply
  22. Glen Bizier

Very nice article and right to the point. I don't know if this is actually the best place to ask but do you folks have any ideea where to hire some professional writers? Thx 🙂

March 6, 2021 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  23. Foster Saffold

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

May 10, 2021 at 11:24 am | Reply
  24. Scarlett Melendy

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 11, 2021 at 11:37 pm | Reply
  25. Simone Thraen

I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/07/russian-prime-minister-and-aeroflot-ceo-argue-on-aircraft-types-to-purchase/

May 16, 2021 at 3:40 pm | Reply
  26. Jewell Woller

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

May 17, 2021 at 6:22 am | Reply
  27. Queen Carin

I don't know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/01/flying-with-cranky/

May 17, 2021 at 5:17 pm | Reply
  28. Gabriella Jimenes

I don't know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/08/airline-livery-of-the-week-okay-airways/

May 19, 2021 at 3:12 am | Reply
  29. Craig Varon

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 2:04 am | Reply
  30. Britt Lupfer

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 7:04 pm | Reply
  31. Dionna Benanti

I don't know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/the-very-first-boeing-747-rolls-out-of-boeings-hangars-68yrs-ago/

May 21, 2021 at 4:07 pm | Reply
  32. Carroll Renn

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

May 23, 2021 at 3:17 am | Reply
  33. Emmett Bullen

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

May 28, 2021 at 3:59 am | Reply
  34. Nichol Dadamo

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 29, 2021 at 4:24 am | Reply
  35. George Nitti

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

May 31, 2021 at 3:50 am | Reply
  36. Michaele Nasworthy

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 1, 2021 at 12:00 am | Reply
  37. Cory Massoud

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

June 2, 2021 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  38. Landon Navo

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 5, 2021 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  39. Frances Wauters

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 9, 2021 at 9:54 am | Reply
  40. Kristy Dantzler

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  41. Tonisha Zuckerberg

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 9:39 pm | Reply
  42. Jonnie Cardoso

I don't know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/01/video-boeing-747-making-an-interesting-landing/

June 13, 2021 at 7:51 am | Reply
  43. Omar Mczeal

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2008/09/life-vests-who-needs-them/

June 13, 2021 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  44. Johnathon Boustead

I don't know about you all but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/09/happy-labor-day/

June 13, 2021 at 11:49 pm | Reply
  45. Caleb Danehy

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 8:24 am | Reply
  46. Maira Maccabe

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 8:39 am | Reply
  47. Eunice Mesi

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

June 21, 2021 at 9:51 pm | Reply