Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

In bloody Central African Republic, top imam and archbishop urge peace

January 28th, 2014

By Mick Krever, CNN

The top Muslim imam and Catholic archbishop in war-ravaged Central African Republic are coming together to advocate for peace and urge their communities to stop their brutal fighting.

“We are together to first prove to international opinion that the crisis is not religious,” Oumar Kobine Layama, president of the C.A.R. Islamic Community, told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour in an interview that aired Tuesday.

“Religious temperament has been used for some people in order to reach their objectives, which is power,” he said.

Chaos struck the Central African Republic last year after a coalition of rebels dubbed Seleka, a predominantly Muslim coalition, ousted President Francois Bozize – the latest in a series of coups since its independence.

Christian groups, called anti-Balaka, sprung up in response.

They have continued their vicious vigilante fighting despite thousands of French and African peacekeeping troops, and the election last week of a transitional president.

The U.S. is calling for community leaders to step up to the plate, and Kobine his colleague Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Bangui, are doing just that.

They are calling for a United Nations peacekeeping force to step in to prevent a repeat of what happened in Rwanda 20 years ago; the U.N. Security Council discussed that issue on Tuesday in New York.

The imam and archbishop spoke with Amanpour in London after delivering a letter to British Prime Minister David Cameron, advocating their cause.

“The whole country has become a powder keg,” Kobine said. “A U.N. peacekeeping force could really respond to the size of the country and also to material means. And the African forces that are set up do not have these means, we must say the truth.”

“The country,” Nzapalainga said, “is paralyzed.”

The U.N. estimates that thousands of people have been killed in the violence, and more than two million are in need of humanitarian aid.

“If we let ourselves be led by violence, we are advocating violence and it is a vicious circle of reprisals and we will never stop,” Nzapalainga said.

Kobine chimed in, “The way to avoid this drama that we call genocide [is] that we have set to work to reduce tension, to reduce hatred, to also reduce intolerance, so that the crisis does not become general.”

They are trying to show the world – and perhaps their constituents – the conflict is not fundamentally a religious one.

“In my childhood at the time of the Christmas holidays, we shared our toys with Muslim friends,” Nzapalainga said. “At the time of Ramadan, we played. In the past we have never been enemies. We were brothers.”

“Let’s find our origins again. If we don’t know where to go, let us recall where we come from, where we brothers have been and let us stay together.”

1. Crazylib

The underlying problem which I think is causing all this violence is vengeance accentuated by ignorance and poverty.Unfortunately the vicious circle will continue if those panga welding youths are not disarmed!

January 29, 2014 at 11:43 am | Reply
  2. DAVID SHELLENBERGER

The answer is not US government intervention. The US government's interest in Africa is to expand its empire. Let Africa resolve Africa's problems.

February 13, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Reply
  3. s.mariappan

whole heartly welcoming this imam and archbi shop unite,peace is everlasting it is eternal ,we need convince,and true in fact

February 28, 2014 at 12:47 am | Reply
  4. s.mariappan

my heartiest feel is we should have to adopt to world no such kind of warlike situation any more from drug lord to civil war and refugee to poverty ,[peace one world global community

February 28, 2014 at 12:51 am | Reply
  5. Dale Oliveira

January 11, 2021 at 2:32 am | Reply
  6. Verena Redenius

Hiya. Very cool website!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally…I am happy to locate numerous useful info here within the article. Thank you for sharing…

January 12, 2021 at 12:03 am | Reply
  7. Rea Panella

January 24, 2021 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  8. Marshall Stargell

Thanks for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such wonderful information being shared freely out there.

January 28, 2021 at 9:59 pm | Reply
  9. malatya escort

esenyurt escort bayanar bu sitede üstelik hepsi ücretsiz...

February 4, 2021 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  10. mersin escort

esenyurt escort bayanar bu sitede üstelik hepsi ücretsiz...

February 5, 2021 at 11:04 pm | Reply
  11. www.gu8.pw

iskenderun escort bayanlarla tanışmak için bu siteyi ziyaret edebilirsiniz.

February 6, 2021 at 10:54 pm | Reply
  12. Josiah Joya

Generally I don't learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great article.

March 4, 2021 at 9:58 am | Reply
  13. oginject

Have you ever thought about writing an ebook or guest authoring on other websites?
    I have a blog centered on the same topics you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my
    visitors would enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested,
    feel free to send me an e mail.

March 31, 2021 at 10:20 pm | Reply
  14. appzilla

You actually make it appear so easy together with your presentation however I to
    find this matter to be actually one thing which
    I feel I would never understand. It kind of feels too complex
    and very extensive for me. I'm taking a look ahead
    to your subsequent publish, I'll try to get the cling of it!

April 1, 2021 at 1:17 am | Reply