Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

40 years later, Angela Lansbury returns to the London stage – at 88

March 27th, 2014

By Mick Krever, CNN

Performing in a play in London’s famed West End is achievement enough for most actors – doing it at 88 is something else altogether.

That’s exactly what Angela Lansbury – most famous for a 12-year run as a mystery writer and amateur detective in the TV series “Murder, She Wrote” – has done with her role in Noel Coward’s “Blithe Spirit.”

It’s her first time on a London stage in 40 years, and the play has opened to rave reviews.

“It is lovely, isn't it? It's lovely,” Lansbury told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour at the Gielgud Theatre. “I'm thrilled to death.”

How does she find the energy, at 88, for the grueling schedule live theater requires?

“That's the $24,000 question – truthfully, I don't know.”

Lansbury has had a storied career, starting in the Hollywood studio system of the mid-20th century.

At the time of her first big “break,” she told Amanpour, she had been working in a department store, making 18 dollars an hour.

“I was … making change as a cashier, and all kinds of little menial jobs of that sort,” she said. “I had been a drama student in Britain before I ever went to America. So I was prepared. I was ready to be an actress. And I wanted to get a part, either in a play or a movie or anything, just to exercise my talent.”

She was signed to the production company MGM; in the system of the time, the Hollywood studios exercised tremendous control over the actors under contract, especially women.

“They just didn't know what to do with me. They really didn't have the roles for me, which I could play strong women.”

“It took its toll on me, finally. And I finally decided to ask for my release from MGM, which I got, and I was very happy to leave.”

After leaving MGM, she embarked on the second chapter in her career: A very successful run in theater and musical theater – “huge,” she said.

But by the 1980s, she decided that it was time to try something radically new.

“Most actors will give their eye teeth to get a good television series,” she said.

The series she took on, of course, was “Murder, She Wrote.”

“Today it's still watched worldwide,” Lansbury said, “and I can tell you that at least two-thirds of the audience during the previews of this show were people who watched ‘Murder, She Wrote.’”

She stayed on for 12 years, before setting aside the “dreadful” schedule.

“You have no life at all,” she said. “No life for 12 years.”

“So the only life I had was with my husband, which was wonderful. We did it together.”

To hear Lansbury speak of her late husband – to whom she was married for 53 years – is to realize just how important the relationship was to all aspects of her life and career.

More than 10 years after his death, she became emotional when recounting their relationship.

The secret to that longevity, she told Amanpour, was “our mutual interest in what we were doing together.”

“He had a successful business life. There was no question about that. He was a huge agent at William Morris and also head of production at MGM.”

“The fact that he was prepared to give it up for the purpose of helping me to have this career in television was a decision that he – it was a very carefully arrived-at decision, which we felt – if we could do this together, it would make all of this getting up early, doing, you know, making our whole life this project, worthwhile.”

He “never felt,” she said, like he had drawn the short straw by having to be husband to a star.

When he died in 2003 she slipped into a deep depression, and stopped making films.

“I just knew I had to wait, and the moment would arrive when I would be able to come up to the surface again and look around and see how I was going to mend this awful kind of rift inside myself. So I waited.”

“I knew that he would have wanted me to continue. I just knew that. There was never any question in my mind. I just kind of had to wait before I was able to do it.”

The way out came like “a bolt out of the blue,” she said – an invitation from her “darling friend,” the actress Emma Thompson, to star alongside her in “Nanny McPhee.”

“It was a very rare and a rather difficult job for me,” she said. “I loved all the makeup and the nonsense that I was covered with.”

“It got me out of myself, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was wonderful.”

Approaching her 10th decade, does Lansbury ever think of retiring, Amanpour asked.

“I don't, really, no,” she said, laughing. “I don't. Truthfully, I don't.”

Filed under:  Christiane Amanpour • Latest Episode
  1. MP

Angela Lansbury is intelligent, durable, talented and inspiring - a true role model, nothing like today's flashy celebrities who have little to offer in the way of talent. Thank you, CNN, for this great article on one of my favorite artists.

March 27, 2014 at 11:00 am | Reply
    • jeninky

Well said!

March 27, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Reply
  2. r

$18/hour as a cashier huh?

March 27, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Reply
    • Ken

She said $18 per WEEK! Listening to all she had to say that is the one thing with which you focused! Amazing!

March 29, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  3. klekklek

she's a legend!

March 27, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Reply
  4. Bluesky1962

Hi,thx 4 the interview last night ...Md. Lansbury is wonderful actress...welcome baxck!

March 29, 2014 at 6:19 pm | Reply
  5. Kawalyajoseph

Thank you for the work. O like CNN

April 2, 2014 at 10:46 am | Reply
  6. Detox Tips

This kind of post is pretty engaging. I will definately be coming back to your blog.

January 10, 2016 at 1:07 pm | Reply
  7. Carmen L

A true lady.....talented, intelligent and loved by many.....I still watch her in Murder, she wrote....Amazing and still active at 90....😀 Way to go, Angela...

June 10, 2016 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  8. fareedzachariacom

I am an 82 yr old retired Purchasing Manager for Dole Inc, traveled throughout the World , lived in Honduras, Costa Rica, Guatemala, New Orleans, San Francisco and Gulfport,MS. My wife Judith is very knowledgeable on Theater & Movies, we have been married for 46 yrs with Dr., Son and Nurse, Daughter, both married to a Medical Professionals, with two/each super achiever children, We have all been faithful admirers of "Murder She Wrote" ergo, of Jessica Fletcher, (e.g. Angela Lansbury) and continue view her TV Re-Runs dutifully. We are so grateful for Ms Lansbury contributions. W & J Bernal

September 11, 2017 at 7:27 pm | Reply
  9. aloysius weathers

I loved her in Blithe Spirit ......she had more energy than the entire cast combined!

March 2, 2018 at 9:43 am | Reply
  10. erectile dysfunction drug

erectile function magnesium vitamin k
    erectile cherries
    erectile after prostate surgery

November 26, 2020 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  11. Bianca Hennington

I was questioning occasion you ever considered altering layout , design from the website? Its really correctly created; I enjoy what youve obtained to mention. But possibly it is possible to small far more with respect to content so males could interact with it greater. Youve obtained a terrible total lots of text for only getting a single or two images. Maybe you’ll be capable of area out greater?

December 20, 2020 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  12. Royce Klostermann

Spot up with this write-up, I truly think this excellent website requirements far more consideration. I’ll more likely once again to learn to read additional, appreciate your that info.

January 11, 2021 at 9:39 pm | Reply
  13. Marc Cavanagh

I really like your writing style, great information, thanks for putting up :D. "The superfluous is very necessary." by Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire.

January 28, 2021 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  14. tadalafil tablets

tidalafil https://tadalisxs.com/ modula tadalafil

February 11, 2021 at 10:14 am | Reply
  15. plaquenil medication

erectile response https://plaquenilx.com/ erectile dysfunction with diabetes

February 11, 2021 at 10:25 am | Reply
  16. arechin

chloroquine phosphate tablet https://chloroquineorigin.com/ chloroquine

February 11, 2021 at 11:00 am | Reply
  17. buy zithromax 500mg

zithromax 500mg tab https://zithromaxes.com/ generic zithromax 500mg

February 11, 2021 at 12:49 pm | Reply
  18. Benito Clanton

I¡¦ve recently started a web site, the information you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

March 4, 2021 at 10:21 am | Reply