Follow Christiane on social media:

On Twitter + Facebook + Instagram Amanpour producers on Twitter

What time is Amanpour on CNN?

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Check showtimes to see when Amanpour is on CNN where you are. Or watch online.

Worlds collide in central African World Heritage park

April 23rd, 2014

By Mick Krever, CNN

Virunga National Park is where worlds collide.

Lush green hills, anti-government rebels, poachers (and anti-poaching rangers), an oil company, endangered gorillas, and – oh yes – locals just looking for a little bit of economic development.

They all come together in one of the most beautiful places on earth, in the heart of Africa, in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, on the border with Rwanda.

The fight to protect the park, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site, is the subject of a new documentary, “Virunga.”

“What's happening in Virunga is an urgent, precedent-setting case,” director Orlando von Einsiedel told CNN’s Paula Newton, in for Christiane Amanpour, on Wednesday.

Only 0.05% of the world’s surface is considered “protected,” he said.

“If we can't defend that tiny percentage of the world's surface, what chance do we have to defend the Great Barrier Reef, or Yellowstone National Park, or Yosemite?”

The danger was highlighted just last week when chief park warden Emmanuel de Merode, a central player in the film, was shot and nearly killed by unknown gunmen in Virunga.

“We've been in daily contact with Emmanuel,” von Einsiedel said. “He's doing okay. He's recovering at the moment in hospital.”

“Over 140 [Virunga park rangers] have been killed in the last 15 years, trying to defend the park. And the reason they do this is because they know the potential this park has to transform the region.”

In neighboring Rwanda, he told Newton, tourism generates half a billion dollars; Virunga, he said, could easily do the same.

And a plan to produce hydroelectric power, he said, “could provide electricity and jobs for thousands and thousands of people.”

“Virunga really is a very stabilizing force in the region. And it's a really – it's an example of a strong functioning government institution.”

The park has “incredible natural resources that can drive a sustainable development,” he said.

That does not seemingly extend itself to the current oil exploration he alleges is going on in the park.

“There is a British oil company called SOCO International, and they are illegally exploring for oil in the Virunga National Park,” he told Newton.

DRC has allowed SOCO to explore for oil, but there is a dispute over whether it is going beyond its mandate.

“Over two years, we did an investigation into what they're doing. And we've got concerns about the behavior of their employees, their subcontractors, their supporters with regards to bribery and corruption, links to armed groups, and human rights abuse.”

In a statement, SOCO called the film’s allegations “unfounded and inaccurate.”

“It is important to note that the film has been produced by one of the company's detractors,” the statement reads, “and is therefore not an objective portrayal of the facts surrounding SOCO’s operations. SOCO understands the film misrepresents the scope and location of the company's activities.”

Newton asked von Einsiedel whether it is a “tough sell” to convince locals, looking for hard-fought economic growth, that their ability to explore for natural resources should be any different than anywhere else in the world.

“Well, I believe that this is a very, very special place and it's a precedent setting place,” he said. “And that's why it's so important to protect it.”

“This is a park with incredible biodiversity, and it's also home to some of the world's last mountain gorillas.”

“The park's resources can last forever if they're managed effectively. And that will go on to benefit, you know, the tens of thousands of people that live around the park.”

Filed under:  Latest Episode
  1. victoryviking

The people who poach the gorillas are not going to be happy until they've slaughtered the last gorilla on earth. The gorillas need to be relocated out of range of the poachers. Somewhere safe, and away from people who have no love for the last of the great gorillas. I say, put all the poaches in prison for life. Period.

April 23, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Reply
    • dutch sheafer

that can't be done..the poachers need to be eliminated

April 23, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  2. dutch sheafer

can't humanity keep our grubby destructive hands of one pristine part of this entire earth? ...it disgusting...we don't need it...leave it alone for christ sake.

April 23, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  3. marmot

The only way to protect the remaining animals is for other countries, and/or environmental organizations, to hire a large enough group of armed rangers who have a shoot on sight policy. It's too dangerous for them to attempt to arrest poachers. Continue to try to involve local residents so that they have a financial reason to be pro-gorilla, but make them understand what will happen when someone is seen inside the park with weapons or materials used for snares. The time for reasoning with people has, unfortunately, long ago passed.

April 27, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Reply
  4. DAVE

which one in the picture is the wildlife

April 27, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  5. Jenny

I was just looking at your Worlds collide in central African World Heritage park – Amanpour – CNN.com Blogs site and see that your website has the potential to become very popular. I just want to tell you, In case you don't already know... There is a website network which already has more than 16 million users, and the majority of the users are interested in topics like yours. By getting your website on this network you have a chance to get your site more popular than you can imagine. It is free to sign up and you can read more about it here: http://zoy.bz/4q8 – Now, let me ask you... Do you need your site to be successful to maintain your way of life? Do you need targeted visitors who are interested in the services and products you offer? Are looking for exposure, to increase sales, and to quickly develop awareness for your website? If your answer is YES, you can achieve these things only if you get your site on the network I am talking about. This traffic network advertises you to thousands, while also giving you a chance to test the network before paying anything. All the popular blogs are using this service to boost their readership and ad revenue! Why aren’t you? And what is better than traffic? It’s recurring traffic! That's how running a successful site works... Here's to your success! Find out more here: http://todochiapas.mx/C/3jq

March 19, 2016 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  6. Octavio Macoreno

This is the very best search engine in the planet

April 15, 2017 at 2:16 pm | Reply

※全物品激安,到着するのは迅速で、安全。
    ■あなたの訪問のを期待しています!☆ヽ(▽⌒)

会社名称 ルイヴィトンコピーN品第1店
    ホームページ上でのご注文は24時間受け付けております

October 1, 2018 at 9:23 am | Reply
  8. Packers and Movers in Kalyan East

I'm not sure why but this web site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

November 23, 2020 at 11:28 am | Reply
  9. Get a Chance to Apply Haldiram Franchise

Hey! Quick question that's completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I'm trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share. Thank you!

November 27, 2020 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  10. detectives privados ronda

detectives privados fuente alama

December 11, 2020 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  11. doIERhQlWD

jLFqnNSOfuTQke

December 15, 2020 at 7:17 am | Reply
  12. Olen Kundla

I have really learned new things from the blog post. One other thing to I have seen is that in most cases, FSBO sellers will certainly reject you actually. Remember, they’d prefer not to ever use your expert services. But if you actually maintain a gentle, professional partnership, offering guide and keeping contact for around four to five weeks, you will usually have the ability to win a conversation. From there, a house listing follows. Thanks a lot

December 20, 2020 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  13. make money online today

Earn 100 commissions of up to 900+ dollars DAILY. 90 Second Set Up – Beta Tested Proven 24-7 AUTOPILOT Income – The Ultimate Work Safe At Home System More details: https://bit.ly/2YfQFcC

December 26, 2020 at 10:00 am | Reply
  14. Jacki Maffia

It would be great if I could post text and pics to the blog from my cell (iPhone). Maybe even video??. . I'm new at the whole blog thing, so it really would need to be free and pretty easy to use.. . THANKS!.

December 29, 2020 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  15. Nichelle Neiper

*There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

January 11, 2021 at 9:13 pm | Reply
  16. Abraham Seung

I'm planning to create my own blog, and a question comes up to my mind..

January 14, 2021 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  17. Alphonso Vanetten

I really want to start a blog about Fashion and cute things for girls. But I can't seem to know how to start it. I'm not that confident because I'm not sure if it'll have potential like other blogs. I also don't know if what I post should keep up with Fashion trends or be my style. Another thing, how do I give myself that inspiration to post every week? Should I research trends and cute things and write paragraphs on it or keep it short? Help!.

January 19, 2021 at 7:52 pm | Reply